How to determine which battery is new one?

• Thread starter space0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the new battery for a mobile phone based on voltage measurements. It is suggested to check the serial numbers or measure the internal resistance using a load. However, it is also mentioned that voltage may not be the most accurate indicator of a new battery's condition.
space0
I have 2 batteries for my mobile, and forget which one is new and old.
The standard volt is 3.6 V, and I measure the voltage using any standard electric meter.
Battery A has 3.86V
Battery B has 3.77V

Does anyone have any suggestions on whether it is possible determine the new battery based on measured volt or not?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :>

Likes 1 person
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you charge both to 100%? Otherwise, I would expect the charge state to be more significant than the age.
Do you have a small resistor? Something like ~50 Ohm. Connect it to the two terminals, and measure the voltage while the load is applied. A better battery will have a smaller voltage drop compared to the setup without load.

I get following meter, will it be possible to measure it using this device?

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks you very much for any suggestions :>

Meter
http://www.uni-trend.com/UT10a.html

Manual
http://www.uni-trend.com/manual2/UT10A%20Eng%20Manual.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a simple voltage measurement, every multimeter can do that.

space0 said:
I have 2 batteries for my mobile, and forget which one is new and old.
The standard volt is 3.6 V, and I measure the voltage using any standard electric meter.
Battery A has 3.86V
Battery B has 3.77V

Does anyone have any suggestions on whether it is possible determine the new battery based on measured volt or not?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :>

Yeah... look at the serial numbers on each battery. I'd bet the larger serial number is the newer battery.

pullmanwa said:
Yeah... look at the serial numbers on each battery. I'd bet the larger serial number is the newer battery.

there we go ! what a brilliant answer :smile:

you really cannot go by voltage as the older battery may still be capable of charging to its new condition maximum. And apart from that, there's likely to be minor variations in full charge voltage of new batteries anyway!

Dave

The best way is to see which lasts longer in the cell phone.

The only other way I know of is to measure the internal resistance by applying a load and measuring the change in voltage.
Both batteries should be fully charged and then partially discharged to around 3.7V. Then measure the voltage drop when you apply a 33 ohm resistor. The lower voltage drop is the better battery.

1. What are the physical characteristics of a new battery?

A new battery typically has a shiny and smooth exterior, with no visible signs of wear or corrosion. It may also have a label or marking indicating its brand, type, and capacity.

2. How can I tell if a battery is new or used?

One way to determine if a battery is new is to check its voltage using a multimeter. A new battery will have a higher voltage than a used one. Additionally, new batteries often come in packaging that is sealed or has not been tampered with.

3. Is there a difference in weight between a new and used battery?

Yes, there can be a slight difference in weight between a new and used battery. This is because a used battery may have lost some of its electrolyte due to repeated charging and discharging, making it slightly lighter than a new battery.

4. Can I use a battery tester to determine if a battery is new?

Yes, a battery tester can be used to determine if a battery is new. It will measure the voltage and current of the battery and determine its overall health and charge level. A new battery will typically have a higher voltage reading and a full charge.

5. What is the best way to store a new battery?

New batteries should be stored in a cool, dry place and away from direct sunlight. It is also important to keep them away from metal objects, as this can cause a short circuit. It is recommended to store new batteries with a partial charge, rather than fully charged or completely drained.