Calculating Voltage in an Electromagnet with Known Inductance and Current

In summary, the conversation discusses the operation of an electromagnet at 50A with an inductance of 100H for the coil. The question posed is what voltage will be developed when the switch is opened and closed, assuming a switch operation time of 1 millisecond. The solution involves using Faraday's law of induction and determining the voltage based on the change in magnetic flux and the time. Ultimately, the voltage developed is found to be 5MV.
Sastronaut

Homework Statement

an electromagnet is operated at 50A. assuming an inductance of 100H for the magnet's coil, what voltage will be developed when the switch is opened? when it is closed? assume that the switch requires 1 millisecond to operate.

Homework Equations

I(t) = Vb/(R(1-e^(-tR/L)))

The Attempt at a Solution

with the given formula above I am not quit sure how to proceed if I am not given resistance. any insight on how I should proceed with this problem would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
You could use Faraday's law of induction. It gives you the emf developed by a change in the magnetic flux.

Is there a circuit diagram to accompany this problem? Maybe that would give us a hint as to the where the resistance is supposed to be, or what might be in place to limit voltages, or what the implications are for a switch that "requires 1 millisecond to operate".

no diagram but I figured it out.

di/dt = 50A/10^-7
V = L(di/dt)
V= 5MV

thank you everyone!

1. What is the purpose of capacitors and inductors?

Capacitors and inductors are electrical components used in circuits to store and release energy. They are used to control the flow of electric current and to filter out unwanted frequencies.

2. How do capacitors and inductors differ?

Capacitors store energy in an electric field, while inductors store energy in a magnetic field. They also have different properties, such as reactance and impedance, which affect their behavior in a circuit.

3. What are the main applications of capacitors and inductors?

Capacitors are commonly used in power supplies, audio equipment, and electronic filters. Inductors are often used in power supplies, radio frequency circuits, and electric motors.

4. How do I calculate the capacitance and inductance of a capacitor or inductor?

The capacitance of a capacitor is determined by the material, size and distance between the plates. The inductance of an inductor is determined by the number of turns, the core material, and the shape of the coil. Both can be calculated using specific equations.

5. Can capacitors and inductors be used together in a circuit?

Yes, capacitors and inductors can be used together in a circuit to create filters, resonant circuits, and timing circuits. They can also be combined with other components to create more complex circuits with specific functions.