Help with electron configuration?

In summary, the conversation revolved around someone trying to understand the electron configuration of an element they randomly picked from the periodic table. They were behind on the material and struggling to figure it out, but after looking it up, they discovered that the element they picked had an exception to the usual rules. They were given guidance on how to properly write the electron configuration and learned about the notation used to save space.
breebreebran
I don't understand it.
I was absent the day it was introduced so I'm behind.
I'm trying to learn from google but I can't figure it out.
I thought I understood but I guess not.
I picked a random element off the periodic table.
Gold.
I know that's sub level d
row 5
column 11
So I thought it was just 5D11
I looked up the electron configuration for it and I got
[Xe] 4f14 5d10 6s1
Any guidance?
Because I'm clearly lost.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You happened to pick an element that has an exception to the rules->bad break! The wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_configuration has a fairly good explanation as to what order to write the shells and how many electrons can fit in each.

Finally, in case you were confused, the { [Xe] "other stuff" } notation refers to the configuration of [Element] plus the additional electron configuration for the working element. Space saving technique.

What is an electron configuration?

An electron configuration is a way of representing the arrangement of electrons in an atom or molecule. It describes the specific orbitals and energy levels that the electrons occupy.

Why is electron configuration important?

Electron configuration is important because it helps us understand the chemical and physical properties of elements. It also helps us predict how atoms will bond with other atoms to form molecules.

How do you write an electron configuration?

To write an electron configuration, you start with the lowest energy level and fill in the orbitals with electrons according to the Aufbau principle, Hund's rule, and the Pauli exclusion principle. The electron configuration can be written using the noble gas notation or the orbital notation.

What is the difference between ground state and excited state electron configurations?

The ground state electron configuration is the most stable arrangement of electrons in an atom. It follows the Aufbau principle and represents the lowest possible energy state. An excited state electron configuration occurs when an atom absorbs energy, causing an electron to jump to a higher energy level.

How can you determine the electron configuration of an atom?

The electron configuration of an atom can be determined by using the periodic table and following the rules of filling orbitals. Alternatively, the electron configuration can also be found by using spectroscopic techniques, such as X-ray crystallography or electron energy loss spectroscopy.