Bubble chamber experiment help

In summary, the conversation is about an experiment that does not require going into the lab, but the data collection has been challenging. The person is struggling with understanding the figures and finding the tan planes. A link to a manual is provided, but it is too large to attach. The expert suggests checking a specific webpage for help with calculating the radius of curvature.
jlmac2001
For this experiment, you don't have to go into the lab. I thought it would be a breeze but I was wrong. The problem I'm having is collecting the data. The figures given are to be used to find the data but I don't know what I'm looking at and how to find the tan planes. Is there someway to explain this or give an example to help me get started? Here's the address to the manual: http://www.hep.fsu.edu/~wahl/phy4822/expinfo/BC/bchamb.html. File too big to attach.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Radius of curvature

Perhaps the calculation of the radius of curvature has you stumped. Check out this page
http://www.liutaiomottola.com/formulae/sag.htm
From there you should be able to calculate the radius of curvature in figure 3 or 4, and the angles you can measure directly.

Hope this helps.

Hi there,

I can definitely understand your struggle with the bubble chamber experiment. It can be overwhelming and confusing, especially if you are not familiar with the equipment and procedures.

First of all, don't worry - you don't have to physically go into the lab for this experiment. The manual provided in the link you shared contains all the necessary information and instructions to complete the experiment.

To start, I would recommend reading through the manual carefully and familiarizing yourself with the equipment, figures, and data given. It might also be helpful to do some background research on bubble chambers and their purpose in particle physics experiments.

As for finding the data, the figures given in the manual are usually plots of particle tracks recorded by the bubble chamber. These tracks can be used to determine the momentum, charge, and type of particles produced in the experiment.

To find the tan planes, you will need to look for tracks that intersect at a specific angle. The manual should have a diagram explaining the geometry of the bubble chamber and how to determine the tan planes.

If you are still having trouble, I would suggest reaching out to your instructor or a classmate for further clarification. It might also be helpful to work through some practice problems to get a better understanding of the concept.

I hope this helps and good luck with the experiment!

What is a bubble chamber experiment?

A bubble chamber experiment is a type of particle detector used in high-energy physics. It consists of a chamber filled with a superheated liquid, usually liquid hydrogen or liquid helium. When charged particles pass through the liquid, they leave a trail of bubbles, making it possible to track their paths and determine their properties.

How does a bubble chamber experiment work?

In a bubble chamber experiment, a beam of particles is directed into the chamber and a magnetic field is applied. The particles then move through the liquid, ionizing the atoms and causing them to boil, leaving a trail of bubbles. The bubbles are photographed and analyzed to determine the type, energy, and trajectory of the particles.

What is the purpose of a bubble chamber experiment?

The purpose of a bubble chamber experiment is to study the properties of subatomic particles, such as their mass, charge, and spin. It is also used to observe the interactions between particles and to discover new particles.

What are the advantages of using a bubble chamber experiment?

One advantage of using a bubble chamber experiment is its high sensitivity, allowing for the detection of rare particles. It also provides a visual representation of particle interactions, making it easier to interpret the data. Additionally, it can be used to study both charged and neutral particles.

What are the limitations of a bubble chamber experiment?

One limitation of a bubble chamber experiment is that it is a destructive process, as the bubbles created prevent the particles from being studied further. It also has a limited time frame for data collection, as the liquid will eventually become too saturated with bubbles to be useful. It is also a costly and complex experiment to set up and maintain.