How to remember the charge of electrodes?

In summary: In an electrolytic cell, the anode is positive and the cathode is negative. In an electrochemical cell, the cathode is positive and the anode is negative.
zorro
How do I remember that anode is positive in electrolysis but negative in electrochemical cells?
I always forget it :|

Chemistry news on Phys.org
ACID = Anode Current Into Device

Although you have to remember this is conventional current flow

I did not understand that. How do we remember positive or negative from it?

One's where an oxidation occurs and the other is where a reduction occurs.

I think. I have to admit I never can remember that either. I just look it up again whenever i need to know. Even got confused about it when defending my Master's Thesis a number of years ago.. :) The only ones I know who seem to get it right consistently are actual electrochemists.

I can do tensor calculus, but plus and minus still manages to baffle me...

alxm is right. Kathode is always where reduction occurs. Best you figure it out when you need it from some easy reaction. E.g. in electrolysis of a copper sulfate solution positive copper 2+ ions get reduced to metallic copper by taking up two electrons which have to be delivered by the negative electrode.
In the case a copper rod acts as an electrode in a battery, the copper will get oxidized and will deliver two electrons whence the electrode is negative again but this time it is the anode (due to oxidation).

I always remembered that the cathode is where reduction occurs because both start with consonants; oxidation corresponds to the anode and both begin with vowels. Weird little mnemonic devices like that are what got me through general chem...

Cathode is where the cations go.

Borek said:

Not in a battery.

in valves (showing my age here) the cathode was where the electrons came from and the anode is where they go to

alxm said:
One's where an oxidation occurs and the other is where a reduction occurs.

I think. I have to admit I never can remember that either. I just look it up again whenever i need to know. Even got confused about it when defending my Master's Thesis a number of years ago.. :) The only ones I know who seem to get it right consistently are actual electrochemists.

I can do tensor calculus, but plus and minus still manages to baffle me...

Haha...good to see I have got a company here :wink:

mack_10 said:
in valves (showing my age here) the cathode was where the electrons came from and the anode is where they go to

valves :confused: ?

Borek said:

How do you decide the charge of electrodes from this?

Positive charge is attracted by the negative charge. It works nicely for electrolysis.

Abdul Quadeer said:
valves :confused: ?
Tubes if you're American

"Red cat, Anny Ox" (Reduction at the cathode, oxidation at the anode. )and "LEO says GER" (Lose electron oxidation/ gain electron reduction).

Knowing these two phrases (?) you will know how electrons flow and can tell which is positive and negative with ease.

Last edited:
wajagawa said:
"Red cat, Anny Ox" (Reduction at the cathode, oxidation at the anode. )and "LEO says GER" (Lose electron oxidation/ gain electron reduction).

Knowing these two phrases (?) you will know how electrons flow and can tell which is positive and negative with ease.

No we cannot tell which one is positive/negative from that. In both electrolytic and electrochemical cells, electrons flow from anode to cathode outside the cell but still they have different signs in 2 cases.

I found out one easy word to remember.
In electrolytic cells, remember the word PANIC.
Positive=Anode & Negative Is Cathode.
So whenever you forget about the signs in electrolytic cells, don't panic :wink:

If you remember this, the charges of electrodes in electrochemical cells is opposite to it.

1. How do I remember the charge of electrodes?

There are several ways to remember the charge of electrodes. One method is to use the mnemonic "AN OX" which stands for "anode is oxidation" and "cathode is reduction". Another way is to remember that anions (negative ions) are attracted to the anode, while cations (positive ions) are attracted to the cathode.

2. Why is it important to remember the charge of electrodes?

It is important to remember the charge of electrodes because it determines the direction of electron flow in an electrochemical cell. This information is necessary for understanding and predicting the outcome of a chemical reaction.

3. What factors affect the charge of electrodes?

The charge of an electrode is primarily determined by the type of material it is made of. However, other factors such as the concentration of ions in solution and the applied voltage can also influence the charge of electrodes.

4. Can the charge of electrodes change?

Yes, the charge of electrodes can change depending on the conditions of the electrochemical cell. For example, if the voltage is reversed, the anode and cathode will also switch roles and their charges will change accordingly.

5. How can I remember the charge of specific electrodes?

One way to remember the charge of specific electrodes is to use the mnemonic "RED CAT" which stands for "reduction at cathode". It is also helpful to remember that the electrode with a higher concentration of electrons will have a negative charge, while the electrode with a lower concentration of electrons will have a positive charge.