Understanding Vertical Velocity: A Quick Guide for Scientists

In summary: Which of these equations do you think will help us with this?Yes, I do get that the other one is 9.8 ms; but the answers say otherwise and I want to know how to get to it. I initially thought the first equation, v=u+at, would give me the answer, but it doesn't seem to work. Can you help me understand why?
Elihu5991
How do I calculate vertical velocity? I feel very silly for asking this question, as I should know this and is very basic. I don't seem to get it from any of my books and it is the quick,, thus, I can't contact my teacher or friends as I don't have their email or skype. If I can't still work it out, then I will post the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vertical velocity of what?
What information do you have?

Ok. I'll thenpost my question:

A bowling ball of mass 7.50kg traveling at 10.0 m s-1 rolls off a horizontal table 1.00 m high.

*skipping a) as it's done and not posting others as I'm not up to them*

b) What is the vertical velocity of the ball as it strikes the floor?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Elihu5991 said:
Ok. I'll thenpost my question:

A bowling ball of mass 7.50kg traveling at 10.0 m s-1 rolls off a horizontal table 1.00 m high.

*skipping a) as it's done and not posting others as I'm not up to them*

b) What is the vertical velocity of the ball as it strikes the floor?

Thanks in advance :smile:

What equations do you know how to use and of them, which do you think you should use here?

Well I'm required to use these three Equations of Motion:

v = u + at
s = ut + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]a[itex]t^{2}[/itex]
[itex]v^{2}[/itex] = [itex]u^{2}[/itex] + 2as

This is what I believe I am to use. It's meant to be primarily focused on projectile motion. I believe, correct me if I am wrong, that the first one is for vertical velocity. I do feel that I am wrong as I don't have acceleration nor can I calculate it. The answers in book don't have solutions to follow and the worked examples aren't of much use.

I seriously feel silly for even asking for this, it is simple, yet for some reason ... I'm not getting it ! It's probably a right in my face answer that will give me a silly "Ah-ha" moment. Yet thankyou for your help.

Elihu5991 said:
Well I'm required to use these three Equations of Motion:

v = u + at
s = ut + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]a[itex]t^{2}[/itex]
[itex]v^{2}[/itex] = [itex]u^{2}[/itex] + 2as

This is what I believe I am to use. It's meant to be primarily focused on projectile motion. I believe, correct me if I am wrong, that the first one is for vertical velocity. I do feel that I am wrong as I don't have acceleration nor can I calculate it. The answers in book don't have solutions to follow and the worked examples aren't of much use.

I seriously feel silly for even asking for this, it is simple, yet for some reason ... I'm not getting it ! It's probably a right in my face answer that will give me a silly "Ah-ha" moment. Yet thankyou for your help.

Those equations of motion pertain to motion in general, and hold as long as the acceleration is constant. There's no particular equation for vertical velocity as such (but of course, all those equations also apply).

For this problem, realize that:

1) horizontal and vertical motion are independent of each other.

2) vertical velocity starts as zero, and is subjected to a constant acceleration of g downward.

3) the only other quantity you're given is the height through which the ball descends, so use the appropriate equation.

okay, I'll explain these equations to you!

The standard notion for this kind of stuff is
v = final velocity
u = initial velocity
s = displacment
a = acceleration
t = time elapsed

These are all vector equations, so these apply for each component of velocity or displacment
The first equation
[itex]v=u + at[/itex]
This tells you that the final velocity is equal to the initial velocity plus a term due to acceleration, which should be expected.

The second equation
[itex]s = ut + \frac{1}{2} a t ^2 [/itex]
This equation tells you that the displacement is equal to the initial velocity times time, which again should be expected, plus a term which involves acceleration (once you know yourself some calculus you'll know where the half and the second power come from)

The third equation
[itex]v^2=u^2 + 2 a s[/itex]
Isn't really anything new, it's really just the first two equations
It tells you that the square of the initial velocity is equal to the square of the final velocity plus a term due to acceleration.Now, with what you are told in the question, which of these do you think you should use?

We have an TWO initial velocities here, one is stated explicitly, the other is between the lines, we also have a displacment.
And we're trying to find a final velocity.

Which of these equations do you think will help us with this?

Yes, I do get that the other one is 9.8 ms; but the answers say otherwise and I want to know how to get to it. I initially thought the answer was 9.8, it's what made sense.

WAIT, hang on! Would 9.8 go in the acceleration?! So with what we have, it would be the third equation. Yet I have tried this option before, and like before, the answer came out wrong (I did square-root my answer to ensure it was correct).

See people, I do seem silly and your probably face-palming yourselves. Sorry, but I don't know why. I'm sure my teacher taught me correctly.

Elihu5991 said:
Yes, I do get that the other one is 9.8 ms; but the answers say otherwise and I want to know how to get to it. I initially thought the answer was 9.8, it's what made sense.

WAIT, hang on! Would 9.8 go in the acceleration?! So with what we have, it would be the third equation. Yet I have tried this option before, and like before, the answer came out wrong (I did square-root my answer to ensure it was correct).

See people, I do seem silly and your probably face-palming yourselves. Sorry, but I don't know why. I'm sure my teacher taught me correctly.

Approximately, g = 9.8 [itex]ms^{-2}[/itex] (note the units). Yes, that's the acceleration.

Use the third equation, but show your working. Then we can see what you're doing wrong.

[itex]v^{2} = 10^{2} + 2x9.8x1[/itex]

[itex]v^{2} = 119.6[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{119.6}[/itex]

= 10.94

Elihu5991 said:
[itex]v^{2} = 10^{2} + 2x9.8x1[/itex]

[itex]v^{2} = 119.6[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{119.6}[/itex]

= 10.94

The initial *vertical* velocity is zero. So why are you putting u = 10?

OH MY GOSH

OH MY GOSH

OH MY GOSH

OH MY GOSH

OH MY GOSH

You have no idea how long I have dwelled on this ! Yes, it is sad. * facepalm x100 *

Many blessing for you my friend!

What can I say, I am soooooo relieved.

The answer is correct

HOW CAN I, IN MY RIGHT MIND, EVEN NOT REALISE THAT. I can now finally move on with my work and stay up to speed ... hopefully, this doesn't happen again. THANKYOU SO MUCH

THANKYOU SO MUCH

THANKYOU SO MUCH

P.S it's ok, I'm not crazy no desperate or mad ... I'm just trying to express my gratitude in the limited methods of communication we have access to (ie. text on monitor ... no face-to-face or voice). I have learned well from this crazy dilemma.

By the way - How can I resolve his thread ... yes, another silly question. I can't find the button on the page nor my control panel.

Last edited:

After all that, a mere "you're welcome" seems somehow inadequate. But you're welcome. :smile:

Curious3141 said:
After all that, a mere "you're welcome" seems somehow inadequate. But you're welcome. :smile:
You could try:
(You're welcome.)3141

SammyS said:
You could try:
(You're welcome.)3141

Or I could offer him a nice slice of 3.141.

Gosh you all are funny ;)

Both shall suffice and I also say them too :D

I got my point across and gratitude ... this is a different circumstance as it felt so SIMPLE yet I could not work it out for someone insane reason -_-

1. What is vertical velocity?

Vertical velocity, also known as upward velocity, is the rate at which an object moves vertically in a specific direction. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. How is vertical velocity calculated?

Vertical velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in vertical position by the change in time. The formula for vertical velocity is: v = Δy/Δt, where v is the velocity, Δy is the change in vertical position, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the significance of calculating vertical velocity?

Calculating vertical velocity can provide important information about the motion of an object, particularly when it is moving in a vertical direction. It can help determine the speed and direction of an object's movement and can be used to analyze and predict the object's future motion.

4. How does vertical velocity relate to gravity?

Vertical velocity is closely related to gravity, as gravity is the force that causes objects to accelerate in a downward direction. When an object is thrown upwards, gravity will cause its vertical velocity to decrease until it reaches its maximum height, and then it will accelerate downwards until it hits the ground.

5. Can vertical velocity be negative?

Yes, vertical velocity can be negative. A negative vertical velocity means that an object is moving downwards. This can happen when an object is thrown upwards and then starts to fall back down due to the force of gravity.