Intro to Statistics: Will It Prepare for Physics?

In summary, the conversation covers the topic of the role of statistics in physics and the question of whether a superficial understanding of statistics is enough to succeed in an undergraduate statistical physics class. The experts suggest that a basic understanding of probability theory is necessary for statistical physics, but advanced statistical theory is not required. The course in question is only a quarter long and the individual is concerned about their limited time to study. It is recommended to check the syllabus for the statistical physics class and decide whether to drop the statistics course based on that information. Overall, while a deeper understanding of statistics is beneficial, it is not necessary to excel in a first course of statistical physics.
xdrgnh
I'm currently taking a intro to statistics class. It's a quarter class so it just started a week ago. I got a lot going on this semester so after taking the class I feel I'll only have a computational aspect for statistics. I won't know much about the theory because I know I won't have much time to study it. Is only knowing a formulas and there meanings in statistics enough to get by a undergrad thermo and statistical physics class that I will take in the future.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The term "statistical" physics is somewhat misleading. You need to know some probability, but it's not really statistical. The role of statistics in physics, as in other sciences, is predominantly for analyzing experimental data.

xdrgnh said:
I'm currently taking a intro to statistics class. It's a quarter class so it just started a week ago. I got a lot going on this semester so after taking the class I feel I'll only have a computational aspect for statistics. I won't know much about the theory because I know I won't have much time to study it. Is only knowing a formulas and there meanings in statistics enough to get by a undergrad thermo and statistical physics class that I will take in the future.

homeomorphic said:
The term "statistical" physics is somewhat misleading. You need to know some probability, but it's not really statistical. The role of statistics in physics, as in other sciences, is predominantly for analyzing experimental data.
Homeomorphic is right. It's predominantly probability theory.

There is probably much overlap between probability and statistics in an intro course. Are you covering combinatorics? Different distributions? What is the course covering?

A basic understanding of probability theory is the minimum you need to know in order to do statistical physics, but if you can manage it I think taking a full statistics course is something every scientist should do. Analyzing data - simulation or experimental - is a vital skill, and the more of a command you have over data analysis the better the conclusions you can draw from your data. Again, this is true for both experimental and simulation data analysis.

Advanced statistical theory is not necessary for an undergraduate level, or perhaps even a basic graduate level, statistical physics course, but if you go on to study statistical physics in grad school I think it would be helpful.

Understand the basics of probability theory
 Summarize basic descriptive statistics of a given data set, both numerically and graphically
 Obtain a solid understanding of all standard discrete random variables, including Uniform, Bernoulli, Binomial, Geometric, Negative Binomial, Hyper-geometric, and Poisson random variables
 Obtain a solid understanding of all standard continuous random variables, including Uniform, exponential, Gamma, Chi-square, and Normal random variables
 Apply knowledge of random variables to solve real application problems

It's only a quarter long so that is why what it covers is limited. My problem is that I got a lot of stuff going on so I only got time to get a superficial understanding of the course material. Will that superficial plug and chug knowledge of statistics give me the tools to do well in statistical physics class. In physics class I never have a plug and chug mentality. It's only that I wanted to drop this course but can't because I class that I took was before which I thought was 4 credits is now 3.

Check the syllabus for your department's statistical physics/mechanics class. It will probably cover the basics of probability theory and statistics that you need for the course. If you have to drop your statistics course, you probably won't end up behind in stat mech, but if you don't have to drop it you might be able to stay a little bit ahead.

xdrgnh said:
It's only a quarter long so that is why what it covers is limited. My problem is that I got a lot of stuff going on so I only got time to get a superficial understanding of the course material. Will that superficial plug and chug knowledge of statistics give me the tools to do well in statistical physics class. In physics class I never have a plug and chug mentality. It's only that I wanted to drop this course but can't because I class that I took was before which I thought was 4 credits is now 3.
Keep in mind, more probability theory is better for statistical mechanics but most people who take statistical mechanics, be it at an undergraduate or graduate level, have not taken a dedicated course on probability or statistics. Math wise, this course is more than enough to survive a first course.

What is the purpose of an introductory statistics course for physics?

An introductory statistics course for physics aims to provide students with the necessary skills and knowledge to analyze and interpret data in the context of physics. This is important because data analysis is a critical component of the scientific method and is essential for understanding and testing theories in physics.

What topics are typically covered in an introductory statistics course for physics?

Topics covered in an introductory statistics course for physics may include descriptive statistics, probability, hypothesis testing, and regression analysis. Students may also learn how to use statistical software and how to apply statistical concepts to real-world problems in physics.

Is an introductory statistics course sufficient preparation for studying physics?

While an introductory statistics course is important for understanding and analyzing data in physics, it is not sufficient preparation for studying physics on its own. Students also need a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus and linear algebra, to be successful in physics courses.

How does an introductory statistics course differ from a regular statistics course?

An introductory statistics course is focused on introducing students to the fundamental concepts and techniques of statistics, while a regular statistics course may cover more advanced topics and involve more complex analyses. Additionally, an introductory statistics course for physics may have a specific focus on applying statistical concepts to problems in physics.

What skills can students expect to gain from an introductory statistics course for physics?

Students can expect to gain skills in data analysis, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication. They will also learn how to use statistical software and how to apply statistical methods to solve problems in physics. These skills are not only valuable for studying physics but are also transferable to many other fields.