What electromagnetic range would disrupt a neodymium magnet?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the question of how to meter an electromagnetic source when the frequency is unknown and whether a neodymium magnet can disrupt the source. The possibility of using a "super wide spectrum" frequency detector and a jammer device was also discussed, but it was unclear if this was legal. Details about the devices used and the purpose of the experiment were also shared.
armoredasm
Hello all,

This is just a question i have... I need to know the frequency (in order to meter it) from an electromagnetic source, and i know that a neodymium magnet will disrupts it. so, i want to know what range the neodymium will disrupt, in order to know what device will need to meter source. Is this possible? or, how can i meter an electromagnetic source if i don't know what frequency is using this source? I have a chinese cheap microwave/EMF detector but seems like won't detect it.

Thanks in advance

As my english isn't perfect, let me know if i wasn't clear enough

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure this is possible. Your magnet doesn't disrupt the EM radiation itself, it actually messes with whatever device your are using to emit the radiation. Either that or your detector. Without knowing the detailed specifics of your devices this may not be possible. And even then it may still not be possible.

Well i didn't put the magnet near the device. It was pretty far (the device is supposed to work as "focus" it's EM emission) i think you are right and it's possible that won't disrupt it, magnet it's probably affecting the target device.

Then it's impossible? should i seek for a "super wide spectrum" frequency detector in order to have some readings?

armoredasm said:
Hello all,

This is just a question i have... I need to know the frequency (in order to meter it) from an electromagnetic source, and i know that a neodymium magnet will disrupts it. so, i want to know what range the neodymium will disrupt, in order to know what device will need to meter source. Is this possible? or, how can i meter an electromagnetic source if i don't know what frequency is using this source? I have a chinese cheap microwave/EMF detector but seems like won't detect it.

Thanks in advance

As my english isn't perfect, let me know if i wasn't clear enough

armoredasm said:
Well i didn't put the magnet near the device. It was pretty far (the device is supposed to work as "focus" it's EM emission) i think you are right and it's possible that won't disrupt it, magnet it's probably affecting the target device.

Then it's impossible? should i seek for a "super wide spectrum" frequency detector in order to have some readings?

Welcome to the PF.

It would help a lot if you could post some pictures of the setup, along with details of what each device is, and what you are trying to do.

Well i do not own the transmitter device so this is like reverse engineering, a black box situation. I'm trying to do it in order to find the frequency (i know this could be impossible) or a range in order to disrupt it with a a kind of jammer device OR AT LEAST some readings from it's EM emission as i don't even know what range is using.

My detector

Measure frequency range: low frequency:5Hz-400KHz, high frequency: 30MHz-2000MHz.

I used it in order to test common EM radiation, like MW from wireless networks, cellphones, wireless phones etc... and low EM freq as computers, tv's. But as isn't common frequency i probably need something else.

It's not illegal

You do realize the only way to jam something like this is to send out MORE EM radiation of the same kind right? That's how jammers work. A regular permanent magnet is not going to jam anything. The only thing it might do is possibly mess up your receiver if you get it too close.

What are you trying to jam? Is there a cell tower or radio tower nearby? Or do you not know what it is at all?

armoredasm said:
Well i do not own the transmitter device so this is like reverse engineering, a black box situation. I'm trying to do it in order to find the frequency (i know this could be impossible) or a range in order to disrupt it with a a kind of jammer device OR AT LEAST some readings from it's EM emission as i don't even know what range is using.

My detector

Measure frequency range: low frequency:5Hz-400KHz, high frequency: 30MHz-2000MHz.

I used it in order to test common EM radiation, like MW from wireless networks, cellphones, wireless phones etc... and low EM freq as computers, tv's. But as isn't common frequency i probably need something else.

It's not illegal

I'm not convinced that what you are wanting to do is not illegal. Thread closed. PM me with a *lot* more details, and I may re-open the thread.

1. What is the electromagnetic range that would disrupt a neodymium magnet?

The electromagnetic range that can disrupt a neodymium magnet is typically between 400-700 nanometers, which falls within the visible light spectrum.

2. Can other electromagnetic ranges disrupt a neodymium magnet?

Yes, other electromagnetic ranges outside of the visible light spectrum, such as ultraviolet or infrared light, can also disrupt a neodymium magnet. However, they may have different effects on the magnet depending on their intensity and wavelength.

3. How does the electromagnetic range disrupt a neodymium magnet?

The electromagnetic range disrupts a neodymium magnet by interfering with the alignment of the magnet's domains, which are responsible for its magnetic properties. When exposed to certain ranges of electromagnetic radiation, the domains can become disordered and weaken the overall magnetic field of the magnet.

4. Is there a specific wavelength within the electromagnetic range that is most disruptive to neodymium magnets?

There is no specific wavelength within the electromagnetic range that is known to be the most disruptive to neodymium magnets. The effects of different wavelengths can vary depending on the strength and composition of the magnet.

5. Can a neodymium magnet be shielded from electromagnetic disruption?

Yes, neodymium magnets can be shielded from electromagnetic disruption by using materials that are highly permeable to magnetic fields, such as mu-metal or ferrite. These materials can redirect the magnetic field and protect the magnet from external disturbances.