How physicists were writting papers in the old times?

In summary: People were submitting manuscripts written using typewriter on special paper (with hand-written math symbols) until the late 80s (and in some cases even later). I have collegues who are now in their mid-40s who remember doing this when they were PhD students. In summary, people used typewriters with space left for equations and math symbols, and then wrote them in by hand. Math fonts have changed over time, but drafts were usually done on paper with hand-written symbols.
Sayajin
Now it's very easy to write mathematical symbols and print them but how the physicists like Einstein, Schrodinger, Dirac, Haisenberg, Bohr and others at that time were writting papers. How people were writting any books that include mathematical symbols at all?
What kind of technology did they use?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is just as easy to print math symbols as it is to print letter symbols. You can do just fine with movable type, or other technologies.

My guess is that drafts were done on typewriter, with space left for equations and math symbols, which were then written in by hand. In even earlier days, drafts would be handwritten entirely. But the final print would be done professionally with printed text and symbols.

Math fonts have certainly changed throughout the years. Dig up some old papers to see what used to be en vogue.

Note that this is not THAT long ago, it was before my time but not by much (ten years).

People were submitting manuscripts written using typewriter on special paper (with hand-written math symbols) until the late 80s (and in some cases even later).
I have collegues who are now in their mid-40s who remember doing this when they were PhD students.

f95toli said:
Note that this is not THAT long ago, it was before my time but not by much (ten years).

People were submitting manuscripts written using typewriter on special paper (with hand-written math symbols) until the late 80s (and in some cases even later).
I have collegues who are now in their mid-40s who remember doing this when they were PhD students.

They also had to walk to the lab every day and it was uphill both ways and always snowing...

We have it too easy. These days there is a latex plugin for walking uphill in the snow: \snow{\uphill\bothways}

G01 said:
They also had to walk to the lab every day and it was uphill both ways and always snowing...

We have it too easy. These days there is a latex plugin for walking uphill in the snow: \snow{\uphill\bothways}

And 30 years from now, I'll be telling younger engineers "you don't know how lucky you have it... back in my day MatLab was just text files... and SolidWorks models were shown on a two-dimensional screen!"

"Okay, grandpa, go play with your touchscreen phone..."

Ben Niehoff said:
My guess is that drafts were done on typewriter, with space left for equations and math symbols, which were then written in by hand. In even earlier days, drafts would be handwritten entirely.

When I was a grad student c. 1980, most professors wrote their drafts by hand on yellow pads or whatever, and gave them to a departmental secretary to type up. The secretaries used IBM Selectric typewriters with interchangeable typeballs that included Greek letters and many common math symbols. They could do subscripts and superscripts by using half-height line spacing. For very complex equations, they left blank spaces, and the professors wrote them in by hand.

FlexGunship said:
"Okay, grandpa, go play with your touchscreen phone..."

You mean you actually had to touch the screen back then?!

Sayajin said:
Now it's very easy to write mathematical symbols and print them but how the physicists like Einstein, Schrodinger, Dirac, Haisenberg, Bohr and others at that time were writting papers. How people were writting any books that include mathematical symbols at all?
What kind of technology did they use?

The fancy stuff was printed via hand engraving of metal, I believe.

Many portraits and so forth were also produced this way.

1. How did physicists conduct research and gather data before the modern era?

Before the modern era, physicists conducted research primarily through experiments and observations using basic tools such as rulers, thermometers, and telescopes. They also relied heavily on mathematical calculations and theories to explain their observations.

2. What was the process of publishing a scientific paper in the past?

In the past, the process of publishing a scientific paper involved submitting a handwritten or typewritten manuscript to a journal or scientific society. The paper would then be reviewed by a panel of experts in the field before being accepted for publication.

3. How were scientific papers communicated and shared among physicists in the old times?

In the past, scientific papers were mainly communicated and shared through printed journals and conferences. Physicists would present their findings at conferences and then have their papers published in journals for wider distribution and discussion.

4. What were the limitations in terms of collaboration and international communication for physicists in the past?

In the past, collaboration and international communication for physicists were limited due to the lack of modern technology. Physicists had to rely on exchanging letters and attending conferences in person for collaboration and communication with other scientists from around the world.

5. How has the process of writing and publishing scientific papers changed in the modern era?

In the modern era, the process of writing and publishing scientific papers has become more streamlined and efficient with the use of computers and the internet. Papers can now be submitted and reviewed online, and there are also various platforms for open access publishing and international collaboration.