Understanding the Role of Chemical Engineers: Tools, Processes, and Impact

• Thread starter nst.john
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, chemical engineers are not just applied chemists, but also use their knowledge of mechanical and electrical engineering to design and operate large scale equipment for chemical processes. They work in various industries such as oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, and manufacturing. The tools they use include pumps, compressors, heat exchangers, and reactors. A bachelor's degree in chemical engineering provides a broad range of engineering skills, but a master's degree may be required for R&D positions. R&D work can involve developing new techniques for specific industries or theoretical simulations.
nst.john
Are Chemical engineers like applied chemists? Or are they more like mechanical or electrical engineers using their knowledge of chemistry to make things or processes? What tools do chemical engineers use, like tools to measure or tools to build, or both? What kind of things to chemical engineers create? Why are chemical engineers important if we already have chemists? I've looked up chemical engineers everywhere but it's simple and redundant, I want personalized and detailed answers to the questions that I have and I know this is the perfect place to go!

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, in your own words, "they more like mechanical or electrical engineers using their knowledge of chemistry to make things or processes." Chemists are wonderful at figuring out how to produce chemicals and materials on the laboratory scale (in glass beakers, flasks, condensers, etc.). But on a manufacturing scale, you need to produce much larger quantities, and you simply can't safely and economically use 10 million beakers, flasks, condensers, etc. to produce a product stream. You need to use large scale equipment like vats, chemical reactors, huge distillation columns, etc. These devices do not allow for adding and removing heat and for purifying materials on the large scale in any way as easily as in a small beaker of lab scale distillation, for example. Chemical engineers are often involved in applying the laws of physical chemistry, thermodynamics, and transport phenomena to designing and operating very large scale processing equipment for chemical processes to produce chemicals and other materials.

Likes Boon Jie
nst.john said:
Are Chemical engineers like applied chemists? Or are they more like mechanical or electrical engineers using their knowledge of chemistry to make things or processes? What tools do chemical engineers use, like tools to measure or tools to build, or both? What kind of things to chemical engineers create? Why are chemical engineers important if we already have chemists? I've looked up chemical engineers everywhere but it's simple and redundant, I want personalized and detailed answers to the questions that I have and I know this is the perfect place to go!

Thanks!

Depending on your career desires the amount of chemistry used daily can approach zero. We work in oil&gas, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, breweries, manufacturing, R&D, power plants (energy), etc.

Often, ChemE's are charged with maintaining the fixed (and expected) output of a facility despite any problems occurring with operation. I.e. a refinery has a fouled heat exchanger - how do you adjust other things to still get the same output required by customers.

So what engineering skills do they have? Like knowledgebin circuits and mechanics? I mean what would they know how to build if I got say a bachelor's and going for a master's. What could I know how to build whether chemical engineering related or not

nst.john said:
So what engineering skills do they have? Like knowledgebin circuits and mechanics? I mean what would they know how to build if I got say a bachelor's and going for a master's. What could I know how to build whether chemical engineering related or not

Typically you take quite a bit of thermodynamics and chemistry, but also: fluid mechanics (pumps/fluid flow), mass transfer (distillation column design and operation), heat transfer (heat exchangers), reactor design, process controls and senior design.

So to answer your question: it's a little bit of everything. No circuits or learning the complex portions of designing a diesel engine, but enough where you can understand the bigger picture of what's going on in a plant environment. You can design and understand (on a basic level) - pumps, compressors, heat exchangers, furnaces, distillation columns, reactors, absorber/strippers, flash tanks, vessels.

However, a Masters degree in ChemE probably won't help too much unless you want to do R&D.

Ok. And what would the work environment be and what tools/things would I be interacting with in R&D

nst.john said:
Ok. And what would the work environment be and what tools/things would I be interacting with in R&D

Beats me. I'm not going to grad school. Going into pharmaceuticals usually requires at least a masters. Otherwise R&D could be industry specific. Developing new techniques for a refinery, etc. New drills for oil companies. Theoretical simulations versus fixing actual problems

I see. Thanks this helps a lot.

1. What is the role of a Chemical Engineer?

A Chemical Engineer is a professional who uses principles of chemistry, physics, and mathematics to design, develop, and optimize processes for the production of various products such as fuels, drugs, food, and chemicals. They are responsible for creating efficient and safe processes, as well as ensuring the quality and sustainability of the final product.

2. What industries do Chemical Engineers work in?

Chemical Engineers can work in a wide range of industries, including pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, oil and gas, petrochemicals, plastics, and environmental sustainability. They are also involved in research and development, consulting, and government organizations.

3. What skills are important for a Chemical Engineer?

Chemical Engineers need a strong foundation in chemistry, physics, and mathematics to understand the principles of chemical processes. They also need problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills to analyze data, troubleshoot issues, and communicate with a team. Additionally, knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD), process simulation software, and project management are important in this field.

4. What is the educational requirement for becoming a Chemical Engineer?

To become a Chemical Engineer, one needs a bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering or a related field. Some positions may require a master's or doctoral degree for more advanced research and development roles. Additionally, obtaining a Professional Engineering (PE) license may be necessary for certain positions.

5. What is the job outlook for Chemical Engineers?

The job outlook for Chemical Engineers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 4% from 2019 to 2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is due to the increasing demand for chemical products and the need for sustainable and efficient production processes. Chemical Engineers also have a high earning potential, with a median annual salary of $108,770 in 2020.