Tesla Coil Thruster: Could it be Possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using electrons ejected from a Tesla coil as a thruster for a spacecraft. However, it is deemed inefficient compared to using ionized gas and there are also concerns about the gradual buildup of positive charge over time. It is suggested that a solar panel could be used as a source of electrons, but it is noted that it also has a limited supply. The conversation ultimately concludes with the idea being deemed unlikely, but still a theoretical possibility.
jack476
This may well be a very silly bordering on sci-fi question, but I was just thinking about this.

Tesla coils can shoot off some truly huge bolts of lightning. My understanding is that this is due to the charge in the secondary coil being "shaken" back and forth like water being sloshed around in a bathtub with the ground being the water (or in this case, electron) source.

So I was just thinking, would it be possible to somehow use those electrons being forced out of the secondary as some kind of thruster on a spacecraft ?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Maybe. But it would be extremely inefficient. Ion thrusters use similar principles except they eject ionized gas out the nozzle. Since electrons are extremely light compared to nuclei, you get a much greater amount of thrust by using ionized gas instead of just electrons. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_thruster

There's also the problem that over time your tesla coil thruster would become highly positively charged since you are ejecting negatively charged electrons.

Yea, I was just toying with the idea. I know that the electron is far lighter than a Xenon nucleus, but I was thinking that since one could simply use a solar panel as a ground you could have a constant supply of electrons rather than having a limited supply of gas. So maybe it's worth thinking about using a coil or just a plain electron gun on some hypothetical mission where maximum longevity is more important than power.

But ultimately I was just wondering if it could work in theory :P

A solar panel does not have an infinite amount of electrons. It would become charged too.

Thread closed for Moderation...

1. How does a Tesla coil thruster work?

A Tesla coil thruster works by using high voltage electricity to create an electric field that ionizes and accelerates the surrounding air particles. This creates a push or thrust in the opposite direction, propelling the device forward.

2. Can a Tesla coil thruster be used for space travel?

While a Tesla coil thruster has been successfully demonstrated in lab settings, it is currently not practical for space travel due to its limited thrust and energy efficiency. Other propulsion systems, such as ion thrusters, are currently used for space travel.

3. Is a Tesla coil thruster safe for human use?

A Tesla coil thruster can be dangerous if not handled properly. The high voltage electricity used can cause severe burns or electric shock. However, with proper safety measures and equipment, it can be used safely in controlled environments.

4. What are the potential applications of a Tesla coil thruster?

A Tesla coil thruster has potential applications in small-scale propulsion systems, such as drones or small satellites. It could also be used in air purification systems, as the ionization process can remove pollutants from the air.

5. Are there any limitations to a Tesla coil thruster?

One major limitation of a Tesla coil thruster is its low efficiency, as it requires a significant amount of energy to produce a small amount of thrust. It also has a short range and is not suitable for long-distance travel. Additionally, the ionization process can produce ozone, which can be harmful to the environment and human health if not properly controlled.