Show Uniform Continuity: Let f:R->R be Differentiable with |f'|<=15

In summary, the problem states that f is differentiable and its derivative's absolute value is bounded by 15. To show that f is uniformly continuous, the Mean Value Theorem can be used to prove that for every epsilon greater than zero, there exists a delta greater than zero such that if the difference between x and y is less than delta, then the difference between f(x) and f(y) is less than epsilon. This is true because the derivative's absolute value being less than 15 implies that the function is bounded and the Mean Value Theorem guarantees that there is a point c between x and y where the derivative is greater than 15.
Treadstone 71
"Let f:R->R be differentiable such that |f'|<= 15, show that f is uniformly continuous."

I can't solve it. I tried writing down the definition, but it got no where.

Physics news on Phys.org
have you thought about mean value thm?

Try the mean value theorem. Obviously 15 is a red herring, any constant will do.

How about this:

f is differentiable, and the derivative's absolute value is bounded by 15. Then | f(x) - f(y) / (x-y)| is bounded by 15 for all x, y, since otherwise the MVP would indicate that there's a pt c between x and y s.t. f'(c) > 15.

So |f(x) - f(y) / (x-y)| = |f(x) - f(y)| / |x-y| <15

hence |f(x) - f(y)| < 15 |x-y|

Let epsilon = 15 delta.

Then for every epsilon greater than zero, exists a delta greater than zero s.t. if 0 <= |x - y| < delta, then |f(x) - f(y)| <= 15 delta = epsilon.

Yet again I find myself pointing out that we shouldn't just give the answers out; we're not trying to prove how clever we are at answering other people's questions. Wasn't this in the disclaimer you were made to accept when logging into this particular subforum for the first time? It is expected that the OP indicates what they've done in trying to solve the question.

I found the answer shortly after I posted. I can't believe I didn't see it before. Thankfully I didn't see the answer here before I solved it. Thanks everyone.

What is uniform continuity?

Uniform continuity is a property of a function that means the function's values do not change drastically over a small interval. This means that for any Δx, there exists a Δy such that when x is within Δx of a given value, the corresponding y-value is within Δy of the function's value at that given value.

How do you show a function is uniformly continuous?

To show that a function is uniformly continuous, we need to prove that for any given ε>0, there exists a δ>0 such that for any x and y within δ of each other, the corresponding y-values are within ε of each other. In other words, the function's values do not change drastically over a small interval.

What does it mean for a function to be differentiable?

A differentiable function is one that has a derivative at every point in its domain. This means that the function has a well-defined slope at every point, and we can use the derivative to approximate the function's values and behavior at a given point.

How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, we use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. These rules allow us to find the slope of the function at any given point, which is represented by the derivative of the function.

What does it mean for a function's derivative to be less than or equal to a certain value?

When a function's derivative is less than or equal to a certain value, it means that the function's values change at a rate that is no greater than that value. In the context of this problem, it means that the function's values do not change too quickly, so we can use the given bound to show that the function is uniformly continuous.