Unraveling the Mystery of Perfect Tenses - Source Required

In summary, the word "perfect" comes from the Latin verb perficere, which means "to complete." The word "perfect" is often used as an adjective to describe something that is perfect in the sense of being complete.
Blahness
"Perfect" Tense?

Why are Perfect tenses called "Perfect" tenses? Where did they get the "Perfect" from?

I require a source, as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
I already read through that, but it doesn't explain why they call them "perfect" tenses. It just explains what perfect tenses are.

For example,
I have been trying to interrupt to turn what they got into mine
that means I was and am trying to do that

The word "perfect" comes from the Latin verb, perficere, which means "to complete."

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=perfect&db=*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_verbs_(L_to_Z )

Last edited by a moderator:
Blahness said:
Why are Perfect tenses called "Perfect" tenses? Where did they get the "Perfect" from?

I require a source, as well.

it has nothing to do with 'perfection'.

franznietzsche said:
it has nothing to do with 'perfection'.
Unlike sewing gorilla suits, which has everything to do with perfection.

Perfect analogy.

They might also be called perfect tenses (I haven't checked to see when those terms were introduced) because the belief in a universal grammar has been popular on and off, and at one point, Latin grammar was the favorite model. So English was treated like it was Latin, for better or for worse. Just thought I should pass this along:
Unfortunately they were too often under the delusion that Latin grammar was the perfect model of logical consistency, and they therefore laboured to find in every language the distinctions recognized in Latin. Not unfrequently a priori speculation and pure logic led them to find in a language what they would never have dreamt of if it had not been for the Latin grammar in which they had been steeped from their earliest school-days. This confusion of logic and Latin grammar with its consequence, a Procrustean method of dealing with all languages, has been the most fruitful source of mistakes in the province of grammar. What Sayce wrote long ago in the article "Grammar" in the ninth edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica, "The endeavour to find the distinctions of Latin grammar in that of English has only resulted in grotesque errors, and a total misapprehension of the usage of the English language" -- these words are still worth taking to heart, and should never be forgotten by any grammarian, no matter what language he is studying.
This is from Otto Jespersen's Philosophy of Grammar (1924). The people who he calls grammarians might today better be called theoretical linguists, and the idea of Universal Grammar is popular again. It's even capitalized now! *cues foreboding organ music* Here's to everyone keeping their carts and horses in order. :biggrin:

P.S. instead of the noun perfect, think of our verb perfect.

honestrosewater,

I'm pretty sure perfect is an adjective, not a noun. :biggrin:

- Warren

chroot said:
honestrosewater,

I'm pretty sure perfect is an adjective, not a noun. :biggrin:

- Warren
:rofl: That batch of coffee must have been defective (just like must! Aha! This one is working).

By the bye, I originally mistyped perfect as prefect, which is a noun, so my brain is excused. Everyone can't be a perfect like you! :tongue2:

Last edited:

What are perfect tenses?

Perfect tenses are verb tenses that describe actions that have been completed in the past, present, or future. They indicate a specific time or duration of an action and emphasize how it relates to the present moment.

How many types of perfect tenses are there?

There are three types of perfect tenses: present perfect, past perfect, and future perfect. Each one is formed with a different auxiliary verb (have, had, will have) and the past participle of the main verb.

What is the difference between perfect tenses and simple tenses?

The main difference between perfect tenses and simple tenses is that perfect tenses emphasize the completion of an action, while simple tenses focus on the occurrence of an action. Additionally, perfect tenses require an auxiliary verb, while simple tenses do not.

How can I identify perfect tenses in a sentence?

Perfect tenses are formed with an auxiliary verb and the past participle of the main verb. The auxiliary verb can be in present, past, or future tense, depending on the type of perfect tense. For example, in the sentence "I have eaten breakfast", "have" is the auxiliary verb and "eaten" is the past participle of "eat", making it a present perfect tense.

Why is it important to use perfect tenses correctly?

Using perfect tenses correctly is important because it helps convey the timeline and completion of actions in a sentence. It also allows for more precise and accurate communication. Incorrect use of perfect tenses can lead to confusion and misinterpretation of the intended meaning of a sentence.