Question on Basic Topology, open sets

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that the subset E+F is open if E and F are open in a Euclidean space. The definition of E+F is also the definition of E union F. The conversation also considers a specific example to show that E+F is not always equal to the union of E and F. A proof is provided using the concept of neighborhoods to show that the subset E+F is indeed open.
de1irious
Hi,
In a euclidean space X with two subsets E and F, the subset E+F is defined as the collection of all x+y, where x E and y F. “+” denotes the addition in the euclidean space. Prove that if E and F are open, then E + F is open.

I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Given that E and F are open for the remainder of this.

E + F = {x | x is an element of E or x is an element of F}

The definition the E + F given is also the definition of E union F.

Now it needs to be proved that the union of open sets is open. Your book should have a theorem and a proof of this so I will not prove it here due to lack of ability to write in proper notation.

That's what I thought at first, but E+F isn't quite the union of E and F. In other words, if E is something like {1,3,5} and F is {20,40,60}, E+F does not contain any point in E or F. So I'm not sure that's the right proof.

de1irious said:
That's what I thought at first, but E+F isn't quite the union of E and F. In other words, if E is something like {1,3,5} and F is {20,40,60}, E+F does not contain any point in E or F. So I'm not sure that's the right proof.

So, are you saying given those sets you defined E + F = {21, 43, 65} ?

well yes, but also 23, 25, 41, etc

Let p be in E+ F. Then p= x+ y for some x in E, y in F. Since E is open, there exist [itex]\delta_1[/itex] such that the [itex]\delta_1[/itex] neighborhood of x is as subset of E. Since F is open, there exist [itex]\delta_2[/itex] such that the [itex]\delta_2[/itex] neighborhood of y is a subset of F. Now let [itex]\delta= \delta_1+ \delta_2[/itex] and show that the [itex]\delta[/itex] neighborhood of p= x+y is in E+ F.

What is a topology?

A topology is a mathematical concept that studies the properties of geometric spaces, such as points, lines, and surfaces. It focuses on the arrangement of these elements and how they relate to each other.

What is an open set?

In basic topology, an open set is a subset of a topological space in which all points within the set can be completely contained by an open ball. In simpler terms, an open set is a set that does not include its boundary.

How are open sets different from closed sets?

An open set does not include its boundary, while a closed set includes its boundary. In other words, every point in an open set has a small neighborhood that is entirely contained within the set, while a closed set may have points on its boundary that are not contained within the set.

What is the importance of open sets in topology?

Open sets are important in topology because they are used to define the topology of a space. They allow us to understand the properties of a space, such as connectedness and compactness, and to study the continuity of functions between spaces.

Can open sets have an infinite number of points?

Yes, open sets can have an infinite number of points. As long as each point in the set has a small neighborhood that is entirely contained within the set, it is considered an open set. This means that even sets with an infinite number of points, such as the real numbers, can be open sets.