Determining Symmetry Group of Cyclopentadienyl using Huckel Theory

In summary: There is a systematic way to find the point group that the molecule belongs to. See Chemical Applications of Group Theory by Albert Cotton, or Physical Chemistry by Atkins.
greisen
Hi,

I have to determine the symmetry group of cyclopentadienyl(assumed to be planar and symmetrical) and I should use Huckel theory. Is there a systematic way to determine the symmetry group and is it possible to use software to determine the symmetry group.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
greisen said:
Hi,

I have to determine the symmetry group of cyclopentadienyl(assumed to be planar and symmetrical) and I should use Huckel theory. Is there a systematic way to determine the symmetry group and is it possible to use software to determine the symmetry group.

Thanks in advance
Yes, there is a systematic way to find the point group that the molecule belongs to.

See Chemical Applications of Group Theory by Albert Cotton, or Physical Chemistry by Atkins.

For the above complex, you can find the symmetry group by inspection.

I draw the molecule and determine the different groups;

E - the identity
C2 rotation of 180 degrees
C2 horizontal 180 degrees

I know the molecule should have D5h but I have some trouble finding the rest of the symmetri axis.

Any help appreciated thanks in advance

greisen said:
I draw the molecule and determine the different groups;

E - the identity
C2 rotation of 180 degrees
C2 horizontal 180 degrees
Looks like you've got the wrong structure to begin with. It is not the cyclopentadiene molecule (C5H6), but the (cyclopentadienyl) anionic ligand (C5H5-) that you need to draw the structure for.

Example: The cyclic groups depicted http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/9/93/200px-Zirconocene-dichloride-3D-sticks.png are cyclopentadienyl rings.

Furthermore, even if you were finding the symmetry group for the C5H6 molecule, your third "symmetry element" makes no sense. What does "C2 horizontal" mean? That is not a standard symmetry element. The symmetry elements of the C5H6 molecule are [itex]E,~C_2, ~\sigma _v,~ \sigma _{v'} [/itex], making it a [itex]C_{2v} [/itex] molecule.

I know the molecule should have D5h but I have some trouble finding the rest of the symmetri axis.
Yes, it is D5h, but you will get that only if you start with the right structure.

Last edited by a moderator:
greisen said:
Hi,

Thanks in advance

The following are webpages that I've found useful during my undergraduate years and in the inorganic chemistry course.

http://chemistry.umeche.maine.edu/Modeling/symmetry.html

http://www.reciprocalnet.org/edumodules/symmetry/

http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/vchemlab/symmetry/

http://www.phys.ncl.ac.uk/staff/njpg/symmetry/

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a symmetry group?

A symmetry group is a mathematical concept that describes the set of all symmetries of a given object or system. It is a group because it follows certain algebraic rules and operations, such as closure, identity, and inverse.

How is symmetry group determined?

The symmetry group of an object or system is determined by identifying all of its symmetries, such as rotations, reflections, and translations. These symmetries are then organized into a group based on their properties and relationships.

Why is symmetry group important in science?

Symmetry groups play a crucial role in science because they can help us understand the structure and behavior of physical systems. They can also be used to predict and explain patterns and relationships in nature, such as in crystal structures or the laws of physics.

What are the different types of symmetry groups?

There are several types of symmetry groups, including point groups, space groups, and crystallographic groups. Point groups describe the symmetries of a single point or object, while space groups describe the symmetries of a larger system. Crystallographic groups specifically refer to the symmetries of crystals.

How is symmetry group related to symmetry breaking?

Symmetry breaking occurs when the symmetries of a system are not preserved, often due to external factors or interactions. This can change the symmetry group of the system, leading to new properties and behaviors. In this way, the concept of symmetry group is closely related to the concept of symmetry breaking in science.