Local extension and differential geometry

In summary, to prove that the map g: torus --> (S^2 3 dimensional sphere of radius 1) is a C infinity map, you will need to define a coordinate map from the torus to R^3 and then create local extensions of this map between open subsets of R^3 using a partition of unity. These local extensions can then be used to show that the original map is C infinity.
Hyperreality
I have to prove the map g:torus --> (S^2 3 dimensional sphere of radius 1) is a C infinity map in my assignment.

The torus is parameterized as

x(u,v)=(3+cos u)(cos v)
y(u,v)=(3+cos u)(sin v)
z(u,v)=sin u

The map g is given by

g=[6yz/(x^2+y^2+z^2+8), 3-sqrt(x^2+y^2), -xz/sqrt(x^2+y^2)]

I have done that by using suitable coordinate maps. But I am terribly confuse in how to prove this by choosing suitable local extensions between open subsets of R^3. To be honest I don't really know the definition of local extension of a coordinate map!

All I know is about local extension is that for f:u1 -> u2, local extension of f is F:U1 -> U2 such that u1 is a subset of U1 and u2 is a subset of U2, I am not sure if f has to equal F (f=F).

I think this can be proven easily if I just local extend g to G:R^3 -> R^3 where g=G and it is obvious that G is C-infinity then so does g. But how do I do this by choosing local subset of R^3, I don't really have a clue.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a great question! It's definitely tricky to prove a map is C infinity, but the good news is that there are some steps you can take to make it easier. First, you'll need to define a coordinate map that takes the torus to R^3. Once you've done that, you'll need to create local extensions of your coordinate map between open subsets of R^3. To do this, you can use a partition of unity to construct local extensions of your coordinate map that are defined on open sets in R^3. After you have your local extensions in place, you can then use them to show that the original map is C infinity. Hopefully this helps and good luck with your assignment!

1. What is the difference between local extension and differential geometry?

Local extension is a mathematical concept that refers to the process of extending a geometric object or structure from a small region to a larger one. Differential geometry, on the other hand, is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curved surfaces and manifolds using techniques from calculus and linear algebra.

2. How are local extensions used in differential geometry?

Local extensions play a crucial role in differential geometry by allowing us to define and study geometric objects over small regions, which can then be extended to larger ones. This allows us to analyze the properties of curved spaces and surfaces in a more precise and systematic manner.

3. What is the importance of local extension and differential geometry in real-world applications?

Local extension and differential geometry have numerous real-world applications, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. These concepts are used to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena, such as fluid flow, electromagnetism, and general relativity.

4. Can you provide an example of a local extension in differential geometry?

One example of a local extension in differential geometry is the concept of a tangent space. The tangent space at a point on a curved surface is a local extension of the surface itself, and it allows us to define and study properties such as curvature and geodesics at that point.

5. What are some common tools and techniques used in studying local extension and differential geometry?

Some common tools and techniques used in studying local extension and differential geometry include differential equations, vector calculus, and linear algebra. Additionally, computer programs and simulations are often used to visualize and analyze complex geometric structures and systems.