Cylindrical conductor with an off center cavity

In summary, the magnetic field inside the cavity is calculated by first finding the magnetic field of a normal cylindrical wire, superimposing another wire with current flowing in the opposite direction, and then adding the magnetic fields. However, when calculating the current density, it is necessary to subtract off the area of the smaller circle.
arunma
I have a quick question. I recently did an E&M problem in which I was given a cylindrical conducting wire of radius a, in which someone bores an off-center cylindrical cavity of radius b (the center of the smaller circle is offset from the center of the wire by distance d). I'm asked to find the magnetic field inside the cavity. I've attached a crude diagram to illustrate the problem. Anyway, I understand how to do the solution: find the magnetic field of a normal cylindrical wire, superimpose another wire with current flowing in the opposite direction, where the cavity is supposed to be, and then add the magnetic fields. And of course there's a simple coordinate transformation involved.

There's just one part of this solution that I don't understand. When calculating the magnetic field from the larger wire by using Ampere's Law, it's necessary to find the current density. I assumed that it would be [tex]J = \dfrac{I}{\pi a^2}[/tex]. But it turns out that I need to subtract off the area of the smaller circle, so that [tex]J = \dfrac{I}{\pi (a^2-b^2)}[/tex]. Can anyone explain qualitatively why this is necessary? I thought the cavity was already accounted for by superimposing the current in the other direction.

Attachments

• untitled.GIF
    untitled.GIF
    1.4 KB · Views: 926
Physics news on Phys.org
arunma said:
I assumed that it would be [tex]J = \dfrac{I}{\pi a^2}[/tex].
That assumes that the current through the wire is uniformly distributed over the full area--but it's not, since there's a hole!
But it turns out that I need to subtract off the area of the smaller circle, so that [tex]J = \dfrac{I}{\pi (a^2-b^2)}[/tex]. Can anyone explain qualitatively why this is necessary?
The current that would have gone through the part of the wire where the cavity is must instead go through the rest of the area--increasing the current density. (Current only flows where the wire actually is. :wink:)
I thought the cavity was already accounted for by superimposing the current in the other direction.
Right, but only if you use the correct current density.

Well...that sort of makes sense. Thanks Al!

1. What is a cylindrical conductor with an off center cavity?

A cylindrical conductor with an off center cavity is a type of electrical conductor that has a hollow cylindrical shape with a void or empty space located off center within the cylinder.

2. How does a cylindrical conductor with an off center cavity work?

This type of conductor works by allowing electrical current to flow through the outer surface of the cylinder, while the cavity in the center acts as an insulator, preventing the current from passing through it.

3. What are the applications of a cylindrical conductor with an off center cavity?

Cylindrical conductors with off center cavities are commonly used in high voltage transmission lines and in coaxial cables. They can also be found in various electronic devices such as sensors and antennas.

4. What are the advantages of using a cylindrical conductor with an off center cavity?

The main advantage of using this type of conductor is its ability to efficiently transmit high voltage electricity while minimizing the risk of electric shock. It also allows for more compact and efficient designs in electronic devices.

5. How is a cylindrical conductor with an off center cavity made?

Cylindrical conductors with off center cavities are typically made by shaping a solid metal cylinder into the desired shape and then drilling a hole off center to create the cavity. The cavity is then filled with an insulating material such as air or plastic.