Topology - How do they know this is open?

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary, the lemma states that if A in R^n is compact and x_0 is in R^m, then A x {x_0} is compact in R^n x R^m. To show this, they use an open cover \mathcal{U} of A x {x_0} and define \mathcal{V} as the collection of all sets V that are subsets of R^n and contain the point (y,x_0) for some U in \mathcal{U}. They then show that \mathcal{V} is an open cover of A. To do this, they use the fact that for any point y in V, there is an open set O_y in R^n
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The lemma sets out to show that if A in R^n is compact and x_0 is in R^m, then A x {x_0} is compact in R^n x R^m.

They say, "Let [itex]\mathcal{U}[/itex] be an open cover of A x {x_0} and

[tex]\mathcal{V}=\{V\subset \mathbb{R}^n:V=\{y:(y,x_0)\in U\}, \ \mbox{for some} \ U\in \mathcal{U}\}[/tex]

Then [itex]\mathcal{V}[/itex] is an open cover of A."

How do they know that given some U in [itex]\mathcal{U}[/itex], the associated V is open?

Edit: In fact, consider the following counter example: Let n=m=1, A=[-½,½], x_0=0. Then A x {x_0} is just the segment [-½,½] considered in the R² plane. Let [itex]\mathcal{U}=\{B_n(0,0)\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}[/itex] (the collection of open balls centered on the origin of radius n). Then, let V_n be the set V associated with B_n(0,0) as described above, i.e. [itex]V_n=\{y\in\mathbb{R}:(y,0)\in B_n(0,0)\}[/itex]=[-½,½], a set that is not open in R. ah!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
V_n = (-n, n)

V_n [itex]\cap[/itex] A = [-1/2, 1/2] (for n>0)

Hm, yes. ":frown:" I wish I were smarter than the book.

Meanwhile I think I found the answer. Given an U and it's associated V, for any point y in V, there is an open set O_y in R^n and another one O'_y in R^m such that (y,x_0) is in O_y x O'_y and O_y x O'_y [itex]\subset[/itex] U. And actually, we can write

[tex]V=\bigcup_{y\in V}O_y[/tex]

which is open as an arbitrary union of opens.

Why are you introducing O_y's? If curly(U) is some cover of A x {x}, then projecting into the first coordinate gives an open cover of A, take a finite subcover, and pull back.

I'm introducing the O_y because otherwise, I was not convinced that the projection was open.

After all, as far as I understand, if U is open in a topological space X x Y, it does not mean that it can be written as the product of an open of X with an open of Y.

Last edited:

1. How do they determine if a set is open or not?

In topology, a set is considered open if it contains all of its boundary points. This means that for any point within the set, there exists an open neighborhood that is also contained within the set. Conversely, if a point lies on the boundary of the set, there is no open neighborhood contained within the set that contains that point. Therefore, to determine if a set is open, one must examine its boundary points and check if they are contained within the set.

2. What is the importance of open sets in topology?

Open sets are crucial in topology as they define the topology of a space. They allow for the definition of continuity, convergence, and other important topological concepts. Additionally, the collection of all open sets in a space, known as the topology, provides a way to classify and compare different spaces based on their topological properties.

3. How do we know that a set is not open?

If a set contains any of its boundary points, it is considered not open. This means that for at least one point in the set, there is no open neighborhood contained within the set that also contains that point. In other words, the set is "touching" or "intersecting" its boundary, which is a defining characteristic of a non-open set.

4. Can a set be both open and closed?

Yes, in some cases a set can be both open and closed. In a topological space, a set is considered closed if its complement is open. This means that every boundary point of the set is contained within the set. Therefore, if a set contains all of its boundary points and no points on the boundary, it is both open and closed.

5. How do open sets relate to continuous functions?

In topology, a function is considered continuous if the inverse image of any open set is also open. This means that the preimage of an open set under the function contains all of its boundary points. This definition of continuity is closely related to the concept of open sets, as it relies on open sets to determine if a function is continuous or not.