Finding a Trig Identity to Show a Relation

In summary, the conversation covers the derivation and proof of the trig identity \frac{1-cos(x)}{2sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)} = sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right), which can be obtained from the double-angle and half-angle formulas for cosine, and the power reduction formula for sine. The conversation also briefly mentions the use of LaTex and suggests using \sin instead of "sin" for proper typesetting. There is also a mention of another trig identity problem, \frac{sin(x)}{2sin(x/2)}=cos(x/2), which can be solved by multiplying through by the denominator and substituting x with 2t.
indigojoker
I know that [tex]\frac{1-cos(x)}{2sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)} = sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)[/tex]

but is there a trig identity that states this? I've been manipulating a certain equation to try and fit a trig identity to make everything make sense. Actually, I started out with:

[tex]\frac{1-cos(x)}{\sqrt{2-2cos(x)}}[/tex]

and got that to equal [tex]\frac{1-cos(x)}{2sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)}[/tex]

not sure if there's a trig identity to show this relation.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking for, but I'll guess you might be looking for this.
Start from the "double-angle formula" for cosine:

cos 2t = [(cos t)^2] - [(sin t)^2] = 1 - 2[(sin t)^2] ;

rearrange it to obtain

2[(sin t)^2] = 1 - cos 2t

and replace 2t with x .

The one thing you want to be a bit careful with is that the "half-angle formulas" for sine and cosine have a sign ambiguity, so you will have quadrant-dependent cases to consider for your [tex]\frac{1-cos(x)}{2sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)} = sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)[/tex] ; sometimes a minus sign will be needed.

But in passing from

[tex]\frac{1-cos(x)}{\sqrt{2-2cos(x)}}[/tex] to

[tex]\frac{1-cos(x)}{2sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)}[/tex] ,

shouldn't that "2" in the denominator be "square root of 2"? (There is still the sign ambiguity, of course...)

toaly off the topic but how do i post the white boxes with formula s in them?! :S

Well if you can't derive the identity, you can still prove it, but I'm not sure if you know differentiation yet. If you do, just show that their derivatives are the same, and the constant they differ by is 0.

However the result follows easily off the power reduction formulae!

[tex] \sin^2 x = \frac{ 1 - \cos (2x)}{2}[/tex]

That formula is in turn derived from the double angle expansion of cos 2x,[tex]\cos (2x) = 1- 2\sin^2 x[/tex].

Last edited:
roadrunner said:
toaly off the topic but how do i post the white boxes with formula s in them?! :S

You mean LaTex? There is a tutorial on "LaTex Math Typesetting" in the tutorials section. Go back from this forum to the Education forum and click on "Tutorials".

thanks dynamicsolo,

there's another trig identity problem that I'm trying to figure out...

[tex]\frac{sin(x)}{2sin(x/2)}=cos(x/2)[/tex]

any ideas?

indigojoker said:
thanks dynamicsolo,

there's another trig identity problem that I'm trying to figure out...

[tex]\frac{sin(x)}{2sin(x/2)}=cos(x/2)[/tex]

any ideas?

Multiply through by the denominator (with the usual proviso that there are certain values where it is zero). Does this expression look familiar? How about if you replace x with 2t?

[tex]\sin(2x) = 2 \cos x \sin x[/tex]

Btw, you should use \sin instead of just tying sin in tex mode... My inner typesetter just rebels against incorrect typography. :blush:

1. How do you begin the process of finding a trig identity?

The first step is to identify the terms and functions involved in the given expression. This will help you determine which trig identities may be applicable.

2. What are some commonly used trig identities?

Some commonly used trig identities include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities. These can be used to simplify or transform an expression into a more manageable form.

3. How do you prove a trig identity?

To prove a trig identity, you must manipulate one side of the equation using algebraic and trigonometric properties until it is equivalent to the other side. It is important to keep in mind the fundamental trigonometric identities and use them as needed.

4. What are some tips for finding a trig identity?

One helpful tip is to try substituting different values for the angles involved in the expression. Additionally, it can be useful to rewrite trig functions in terms of other trig functions, such as sine and cosine.

5. How do you know if a trig identity is true?

If both sides of the equation simplify to the same expression, then the identity is true. Another way to check is to use a graphing calculator to plot both sides of the equation and see if they produce the same graph.