NEED HELP Finding the length of an angle on a right triangle

In summary, the homework statement is saying that to find the angle between the hypotenuse and the left side, you need to use the law of cosines. You can use any of the trig functions that you have listed, but for now you can use cos.
dominus96

Homework Statement

----
l../
l./
l/

^This is a right triangle (not drawn to scale). The left side is 18,944, then top side is 30,556, and the hypotenuse is 35,952. The right angel is between the left side and the top side. Now, how do I find the measurement of the angle between the hypotenuse and the left side?

Homework Equations

sin, cos, and tan?

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the angle is between the hypotenuse and the adjacent, I assume that I do cos, but I don't know what numbers to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the angle from vertical (left side) and hypotenuse, 18,944 = 35,952 cos [itex]\theta[/itex].

theres a relationship between the size of a leg and the vertex angle (the angle opposite of the leg)

You can use any of them to find the angle since you know all three lengths, you just have to setup the right ratios.

dominus96 said:
sin, cos, and tan?

Since the angle is between the hypotenuse and the adjacent, I assume that I do cos, but I don't know what numbers to use.

You can use any of the trig functions that you have listed to establish the proper relationship. But, for now we can stick to cos.

What ratio does cos represent? [tex]\cos\theta=\frac{?}{?}[/tex]

Casey

cos of angle = adjacent/hypotenuse

So, cos x = 18,944/35,952 right?

Use the law of cosine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_cosines

Let A = 18944, B = 30556, C = 35952

B^2 = A^2 + C^2 - 2*A*C*cos(angleB)
cos(angleB) = (A^2 + C^2 - B^2 ) / (-2*A*C)

Solve using inverse cosine, and you get B.

Last edited:
Thank you guys I got it.

Kster said:
Use the law of cosine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_cosines

Let A = 18944, B = 30556, C = 35952

B^2 = A^2 + C^2 - 2*A*C*cos(angleB)
cos(angleB) = (A^2 + C^2 - B^2 ) / (-2*A*C)

Solve using inverse cosine, and you get B.

Why? I mean you can but it's a complete waste of time in this situation :-/

1. How do I find the length of an angle on a right triangle?

The length of an angle on a right triangle can be found using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. You will need to know at least two sides or one side and one angle of the triangle to use these functions.

2. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how does it relate to finding the length of an angle on a right triangle?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This theorem can be used to find the length of an angle by using the inverse trigonometric functions.

3. Can I use a calculator to find the length of an angle on a right triangle?

Yes, most scientific and graphing calculators have trigonometric functions that can be used to find the length of an angle on a right triangle. Make sure your calculator is in the correct mode (degrees or radians) before using these functions.

4. How do I use the Law of Sines to find the length of an angle on a right triangle?

The Law of Sines states that the ratio of the length of a side to the sine of its opposite angle is constant for all sides and angles in a triangle. By rearranging this equation, you can solve for the unknown angle.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the length of an angle on a right triangle?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the Law of Cosines or using special right triangles (e.g. 30-60-90 triangle). It is important to have a good understanding of these concepts and how to apply them in different situations.