Doing a presentation. Need some pointers.

In summary, this student is looking for resources on a new method of functionalizing armonatic rings, and is looking for pointers to a article on the subject.
Bladibla
Hi

I'm currently starting to prepare a 15 min preparation on a chemistry topic.

The topic I have been chosen to do is ''New methods of functionalizing armonatic rings; New methods for the constructing of C-O bonds to functionalize aromatic rings''

Does anyone have some pointers to this topic? I am not entirely sure of where to get resources for current researches in chemistry so I'm in a bit of a dark corner when it comes to obtaining information for this project..

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You probably won't find information by searching the literature using "''New methods of functionalizing armonatic rings; New methods for the constructing of C-O bonds to functionalize aromatic rings". One way to look at this problem is to note that it is an oxidation reaction. The simplest compound in this series would be phenol. Try searching for new methods to manufacture phenol. I seem to remember that C&E News had a review about some new chemistry sometime in the last 3 1/2 years (not in 2007, though). Start by trying to find the article in C&E News then by looking at a Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology, specifically the chapter dealing with phenol. An excerpt I found online has this:
Phenol (hydroxybenzene) is a commercially important derivative of benzene. It is the primary feedstock for the production of epoxy resins and polycarbonates, phenolic resins and molding compounds, caprolactam, aniline, and other chemical derivatives. More than 95% of the phenol consumed is produced by the cumene peroxidation process.

So you see that this is a very important process but it depends on the manufacture of cumene (probably via a Friedel-Crafts alkylation process) and thus the economics of cumene manufacture as well. These two methods of manufacture are no doubt linked
both physically and economically and the demand/price of one drives the other. Finding a way to decouple the economics of phenol production from the vagaries of cumene production would seem a logical motivation for novel methods of aromatic C-O formation.

Hope it is helpful.

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations on being chosen to present on such an interesting and relevant topic in chemistry! Here are a few pointers that may help you with your presentation:

1. Start by doing some background research on the topic. Look for articles, journals, or books that discuss the function and importance of aromatic rings in chemistry. This will give you a better understanding of the topic and help you narrow down your focus.

2. Look for recent research papers or studies on new methods for functionalizing aromatic rings. You can search for these on online databases such as Google Scholar or PubMed. Make sure to check the credibility of the sources and cite them properly in your presentation.

3. Don't be afraid to reach out to your professors or classmates for guidance and advice. They may have some useful resources or insights that can help you with your presentation.

4. When organizing your presentation, make sure to have a clear introduction, main points, and a conclusion. Use visuals such as diagrams or graphs to make your presentation more engaging and easier to understand.

5. Practice, practice, practice! Make sure to rehearse your presentation beforehand to ensure that you are comfortable with the material and can deliver it confidently.

Good luck with your presentation! I'm sure with the right preparation and resources, you will do a fantastic job. Don't hesitate to ask for help if you need it. Best of luck!

What are some important tips for giving a successful presentation?

Some tips for giving a successful presentation include practicing beforehand, knowing your audience, keeping your slides visually appealing, using clear and concise language, and engaging with your audience through eye contact and body language.

How can I make my presentation more engaging?

To make your presentation more engaging, you can use storytelling techniques, ask thought-provoking questions, incorporate multimedia elements, and encourage audience participation through activities or discussions.

What should I avoid when giving a presentation?

Avoid reading directly from your slides, using too much text on your slides, speaking too quickly or monotonously, and going over your allotted time. It's also important to avoid distracting mannerisms or habits, such as fidgeting or using filler words.

How can I effectively use visual aids in my presentation?

Visual aids, such as slides or props, can enhance your presentation when used effectively. Make sure to keep them simple and visually appealing, use them to reinforce key points, and avoid overcrowding them with too much information.

What should I do to prepare for my presentation?

To prepare for your presentation, it's important to research your topic thoroughly, organize your ideas in a logical and cohesive manner, practice your delivery, and make sure all necessary materials and equipment are ready to use. It's also helpful to anticipate potential questions or challenges from your audience and prepare appropriate responses.