Penetration of beta particles

In summary, when securing an area from beta particles, one can use absorbers such as aluminum foils. The total thickness of the aluminum foils is what matters, regardless of whether it is one thick foil or multiple foils with free space between them. The only difference may be in how tightly the foils are packed and the energy of the beta particles. Beta particles can also be stopped in pure air, but the range is much larger than in aluminum. In experiments with identical aluminum foils and a source emitting beta particles, placing the foils at different distances from the source may result in a small difference in the counts detected by a G.M. scintillator. This is due to the order in which the foils are placed
prochatz
If we want to secure an area from beta particles, we could use absorbers, for example aluminum foils. Is it preferable to use one thick aluminum foil or several aluminum foils (with same total density as the first one of course) with free space between them? In other words, does a beta particle lose energy differently while passing through a thick foil in comparison with a beta particle passing through several foils.

Physics news on Phys.org
it depends how tight you have the Al-foils and what beta-energy you have. Remember that beta particles are stopped in pure air too. But the range in air is of course much larger than for Al, so if you want to shield effectivly, I would use a thick Al- foil

Do you understand?

prochatz said:
If we want to secure an area from beta particles, we could use absorbers, for example aluminum foils. Is it preferable to use one thick aluminum foil or several aluminum foils (with same total density as the first one of course) with free space between them? In other words, does a beta particle lose energy differently while passing through a thick foil in comparison with a beta particle passing through several foils.
Only the total thickness of Al matters.

pam said:
Only the total thickness of Al matters.

but does not air play a role?

10cm-Al that is positioned 5cm from the source, or:
10 1cm-Al that has 1m spacing between each 1cm-Al pair

Is not the same thing...since beta particles has a finite range in pure air.

malawi_glenn said:
it depends how tight you have the Al-foils and what beta-energy you have. Remember that beta particles are stopped in pure air too. But the range in air is of course much larger than for Al, so if you want to shield effectivly, I would use a thick Al- foil

Do you understand?

Thanks for your answer.

Suppose we have two identical aluminium foils and a source that emits a vertical beam of beta particles (Sr-90). Suppose that I place a G.M. detector in a distance of 6cm over the source. Then, I do two procedures:

a) I place the two identical Al-foils very close each other in the distance of 3cm from the source.

b)I place the first Al-foil in the distance of 2cm from the source and the second one in the distance of 4cm from the source.

Will I notice any difference in the counts of the G.M. scintillator? In other words, do the two procedures absorb equally the beta particles?

you should get a very small difference, since we have only magnitudes of a few centimeters.

you know how to calculate this theoretically?

I don't remember excactly, was a time since i did basic nuclear experiments, but I believe that average beta particles has a range of like one meter in air.

http://trshare.triumf.ca/~safety/EHS/rpt/rpt_2/node23.html

malawi_glenn said:
you should get a very small difference, since we have only magnitudes of a few centimeters.

Isn't it weird? In both the previous procedures, beta particles are traversing the same distance in air and two Al-foils. Shoudn't the counts be the same?

the order plays role too.

If you have 1cm Al then 5cm air or vice versa etc, makes a small difference.

The mass stopping power depends on the incoming energy of the radiation, so if the particle exits the source with 5MeV then enters air, you have a specific value of the mass stopping power in air, and after passing the 5cm of air, you will have a specific value of the energy that enters the 1cm Al and another specific value of the mass stopping power in Al.

But as I said, it is a very very small difference in this case.

Have you worked with this theoretically as a preparation of this lab?

Last edited:

1. What are beta particles?

Beta particles are high-energy, high-speed electrons that are emitted from an unstable nucleus during radioactive decay.

2. How do beta particles penetrate matter?

Beta particles can penetrate matter through a process called ionization, where they collide with and transfer energy to atoms and molecules in the material.

3. What is the range of penetration for beta particles?

The range of penetration for beta particles depends on their energy and the density of the material they are traveling through. Generally, they can travel a few millimeters to a few meters in air and can penetrate a few millimeters to a few centimeters in solid materials.

4. Can beta particles be stopped by any material?

No, beta particles cannot be stopped by any material. However, their penetration can be reduced by using materials with a high atomic number, such as lead or concrete, which increases the likelihood of collisions and energy transfer.

5. What are the potential health hazards of beta particle penetration?

Beta particles can cause damage to living cells and tissues, leading to potential health hazards such as skin burns and increased risk of cancer. However, the extent of the health effects depends on the amount and duration of exposure to beta particles.