Crush 1" from End of 1.5" Tube - Press Requirements

• Thread starter Dell Johnson
  • Start date
In summary: These include the material type and strength of the pipe, the length of the pipe, and the support needed to prevent buckling. For steel pipes that are 1 1/2 inches in diameter and have a .120 inch wall thickness, a minimum 15-ton hydraulic press is recommended. However, for larger diameters, a 60 or even 100-ton press may be necessary. It is also important to check the recommendations of the tubing manufacturer for specific requirements. Ultimately, the external pressure needed for yield strength collapse can be calculated using the formula provided.
Dell Johnson
I have a tube 1 1/2 diam. wall thickness .120 We need to crush each end about 1 inch in from the end. We are in need of the requirements of a press that will do the job?
your help is needed thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
It makes a difference what the material is and what its strength is. Also, it's length must be sufficiently short to prevent buckling before it crushes, or at least it should be sideways supported against buckling, and also to prevent local buckling of the tube wall. What material you talking? Steel, fiberglass, cardboard??

steel 3 feet long it will be supported at the other end by a stop bracket the press will have two dies

Dell Johnson said:
steel 3 feet long it will be supported at the other end by a stop bracket the press will have two dies
Oh, I misuderstood, i think. I was assuming from your title that you wanted to place an axial force on the pipe. But do you want to instead 'squeeze' the ends to flatten the pipe, kind of close it off? If so, I don't think I can help. But please clarify.

yes it is to be squeezed

Dell Johnson said:
yes it is to be squeezed
Oh, sorry. I don't know for sure. These presses are often used to make electrical splices between 2 wires by using an alumimum or steel tube installed over each end, and compressed (squeezed) with a 2 piece circular or hex shaped die. They require usually a minimum 15 ton hydraulic press, sometimes a 60 or even a 100 ton press for diameters over 2". I'm not sure of the wall thickness, though, in this application. You might want to check the tubing manufacturer's recommendations (Burndy and Anderson-Fargo and Alcoa come to mind).

Last edited:
Dell Johnson said:
I have a tube 1 1/2 diam. wall thickness .120 We need to crush each end about 1 inch in from the end. We are in need of the requirements of a press that will do the job?
your help is needed thank you

For your particular pipe, collapse is governed by yield strength collapse.

Yield strength collapse pressure is given by:

[tex]P_{yp} = 2Y_p \cdot \frac{(\frac{D}{t} - 1)}{(\frac{D}{t})^2}[/tex]

where,

[tex] P_{yp} [/tex] is the external pressure required to generate minimum yield stress in the pipe
[tex] Y_p [/tex] is the yield strength of the pipe
D is the diameter of the pipe
t is the wall thickness of the pipe

Hope this helps.

CS

Stewartcs formula worked well. I came up with 3,827.2 Pyb

Thank you all for your in put

Dell

1. What is "Crush 1" and why is it important in the end of a 1.5" tube?

"Crush 1" refers to the amount of compression or flattening that occurs at the end of a 1.5" tube. It is important because it can affect the structural integrity and performance of the tube, especially in pressurized systems.

2. How is the "Crush 1" measurement determined?

The "Crush 1" measurement is typically determined by using specialized equipment such as a crush gauge or caliper to measure the distance between the outer walls of the flattened section of the tube. This measurement is then compared to the original diameter of the tube to determine the amount of compression.

3. What are the requirements for "Crush 1" in different industries?

The requirements for "Crush 1" may vary depending on the specific industry and application. In industries such as automotive and aerospace, strict tolerances for "Crush 1" may be necessary to ensure the safety and performance of the product. In other industries, such as plumbing or construction, the requirements may be less stringent.

4. How does "Crush 1" affect the overall strength and durability of a tube?

The amount of "Crush 1" can have a significant impact on the strength and durability of a tube. Too much compression can weaken the tube and make it more susceptible to failure, while too little compression can result in a loose or ineffective connection. It is important to find the right balance to ensure optimal performance and safety.

5. Are there any alternative methods for achieving "Crush 1" in a tube?

Yes, there are alternative methods for achieving "Crush 1" in a tube, such as using specialized tools or equipment to create a predetermined amount of compression. In some cases, heat or pressure may also be used to achieve the desired level of "Crush 1". However, it is important to carefully consider the potential risks and effects on the tube before using alternative methods.