How to find Population mean when there are no data points ?

In summary: There is no hypothesis involved. If the consumer magazine wanted to see if the population mean was larger than the manufacturer's claim, then we would actually be talking about two hypotheses - a null hypothesis (e.g, mean = or < manufacturer's claim) and an alternative hypothesis (mean > manufacturer's claim).In that situation, you, OP, would use the t-test if either the data follows a normal curve or you have a large sample (a rule of thumb is that the sample size should be >= 30), and the population standard deviation is unknown.
CW-Stats
Not sure if this is the right place to post homework questions or not, but my math problem is this: A consumer magazine has contacted a simple random sample of 33 owners of a certain model of automobile and asked each owner how many defects had to be corrected within the first 2 months of ownership. The average number of defects was sample mean= 3.7, with a standard deviation of 1.8 defects. a. Use the t distribution to construct a 95% confidence interval for population mean =the average number of defects for the model and b. use the z distribution to construct a 95% confidence interval for population mean = the average number of defects for this model. c. given that the population standard deviation is not known, which of these two confidence intervals should be used as the interval estimate for the population mean?

So as far as I can figure I need to find the population mean first and then go back through and then do the Population standard deviation, to work out the first two parts of the problem. Unless there is another way of going about it, I'm not exactly sure though.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you do NOT find the population mean. If you could, you wouldn't need a "95% confidence interval"! What, exactly, does the "t test" do?

t test definition

From my book it says that t test is a hypothesis test using t as a test statistic and relying on the t distribution for the determination of calculated and critical values.

And I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not in your reply there, but I will say that I'm having a hard enough time with the course and just need the help, so no snide remarks please.

No, I was not being sarcastic. You do need to determine exactly what "hypothesis" you are talking about here and how to use the t test on that hypothesis.

Ok, well I'm guessing the hypothesis is to figure out how many defects that the given sample of car owners had to get fixed in over the first 2 months that they had owned the car.

and would have to use the formula t=(sample mean(3.7)-population mean(?))/(s(?)/Square root of n(33)) So I think I would have to find the sample standard deviation, but I'm not really sure how to do that with no population mean. And from there to do the variance. I know I did something similar to this in another homework problem its just harder to pick things out in word problems like this.

HallsofIvy said:
No, I was not being sarcastic. You do need to determine exactly what "hypothesis" you are talking about here and how to use the t test on that hypothesis.

CW-Stats said:
Ok, well I'm guessing the hypothesis is to figure out how many defects that the given sample of car owners had to get fixed in over the first 2 months that they had owned the car.

and would have to use the formula t=(sample mean(3.7)-population mean(?))/(s(?)/Square root of n(33)) So I think I would have to find the sample standard deviation, but I'm not really sure how to do that with no population mean. And from there to do the variance. I know I did something similar to this in another homework problem its just harder to pick things out in word problems like this.

There is no hypothesis involved. If the consumer magazine wanted to see if the population mean was larger than the manufacturer's claim, then we would actually be talking about two hypotheses - a null hypothesis (e.g, mean = or < manufacturer's claim) and an alternative hypothesis (mean > manufacturer's claim).

In that situation, you, OP, would use the t-test if either the data follows a normal curve or you have a large sample (a rule of thumb is that the sample size should be >= 30), and the population standard deviation is unknown. But you're not testing a hypothesis. You've been told to construct a confidence interval.

Last edited:
CW-Stats,

Your book probably mentions the "t-statistic" in connection with "t-test". But a "t-statistic" has "t distribution" which has other uses. To find a "confidence interval", you don't need to know the population mean [itex] \mu [/itex]. Such a "confidence interval" has a definite length but no definite endpoints. If you look at the definition of the t-statistic, it has a term like [itex] x - \mu [/itex] in the numerator. The quantity [itex] x - \mu [/itex] can be regarded as the half length of a confidence interval with unknown center [itex] \mu [/itex]. So solve for [itex] x - \mu [/itex] as if it were a single unknown. i.e. let [itex] h = x - \mu [/itex] and find the value of h that corresponds to a probability of [itex] \frac{0.95}{2} [/itex]. You can state the confidence interval as 2h or [itex] [\mu - h, \mu+h] [/itex], depending on the conventions that your book uses. You don't have to say what [itex] \mu [/itex] is.

1. How can I calculate the population mean without any data points?

Calculating the population mean without any data points is not possible. Data points are necessary to determine the average, or mean, of a population. Without data, there is no information to work with and no way to determine the population mean.

2. Is it possible to estimate the population mean without data points?

It is possible to estimate the population mean without data points, but the accuracy of the estimate will depend on the method used and the assumptions made. Some methods for estimating the population mean without data points include using the median or mode of a sample, or using external data sources such as census data.

3. How does the number of data points affect the accuracy of the population mean?

The more data points that are available, the more accurate the population mean will be. This is because a larger sample size reduces the potential for sampling error and provides a better representation of the population. However, even with a small number of data points, it is possible to get a relatively accurate estimate of the population mean.

4. Can I use a sample mean as an estimate for the population mean?

Yes, the sample mean can be used as an estimate for the population mean. The sample mean is calculated by taking the sum of all the values in a sample and dividing by the number of values in the sample. This can provide a good estimate for the population mean, especially if the sample is representative of the population.

5. What are some potential limitations of estimating the population mean without data points?

Estimating the population mean without data points can be limited by the accuracy of the estimation method used and the assumptions made. It may also be difficult to get an accurate estimate if the population is very large or if there is a lot of variability within the population. Additionally, using external data sources to estimate the population mean may not be applicable in all situations and could introduce bias.