Spring System with Variable Tensions, functions of displacement.

In summary, the two masses collide into each other and their momentum is conserved. The masses then use conservation of energy to figure out what equations to use to solve for their motion after the collision.
SpeeDFX
So...I want to solve the problem where two masses on springs collide into each other on a frictionless surface. The two masses are different, and both springs' tensions are linear functions of x.

The two mass-springs collide into each other, each having some initial speed V1 and V2,and the springs stick together end to end. I want to find the equations of motion for each mass after the collision (1 dimensional).

I'm getting stuck on how to set up the equations, and then, figuring out what kind of equations I'm dealing with.

Right now, I have the problem set up in my head like the following. M1 (attached to to spring with K1(X1) ) comes in from the left and M2 (with K2(X2)) comes in from the right. then the springs stick together and start doing their things. I'm taking the point of view from M1.

F(onto M2) = Ktotal*Xtotal = M2*Xtotal'', where Xtotal'' is the acceleration of M2 from perspective of M1.

also, I'm calling "B" the point at which the springs stick together

F(at B)= 0 = K1(X1)*X1 = K2(X2)*X2

with these 2 eqn's, I'm stuck. Even if I use the solution to a simple harmonic oscillator, I end up having X1 and X2 inside the cosine and sine functions as well as outside. I don't know if this is OK and I don't know how to deal with it. lol. someone help me please

Physics news on Phys.org
woops. I meant...

F(at B)= 0 = K1(X1)*X1 - K2(X2)*X2

SpeeDFX said:
The two mass-springs collide into each other, each having some initial speed V1 and V2,and the springs stick together end to end.

Hi SpeeDFX! :smile:

I'm not visualising this …

if the masses collide, where are the springs?

how can they stick together end to end? :confused:

each mass has a spring sticking straight out of it.

I guess a better way to describe it would be the following..

2 masses with springs are attached in the followin order.

mass1_spring1_spring2_mass2

the masses have some initial velocity toward each other

use centre-of-mass coordinates!

Hi SpeeDFX! :smile:

Ah! So two springs collide into each other on a frictionless surface, and they have masses at their other ends. :smile:

Hint: change to a coordinate system in which the centre of mass is stationary!

Momentum is conserved in all collisions, so it'll remain stationary.

(That'll make all the calculations much easier.)

Then use conservation of energy. :smile:

1. What is a spring system with variable tensions?

A spring system with variable tensions is a mechanical system that consists of one or more springs that can be adjusted to different tensions, allowing for different levels of displacement. This allows for a wide range of functions and uses, depending on the specific design and application.

2. How does a spring system with variable tensions work?

A spring system with variable tensions works by using springs that can be tightened or loosened to adjust the amount of force or tension being applied. This change in tension affects the displacement of the springs, allowing for different levels of movement or resistance.

3. What are the functions of displacement in a spring system with variable tensions?

The functions of displacement in a spring system with variable tensions depend on the specific design and application. Some common functions include absorbing shock, storing and releasing energy, and providing resistance or support in various mechanical systems.

4. How is displacement measured in a spring system with variable tensions?

The displacement in a spring system with variable tensions is typically measured in units of length, such as inches or centimeters. This can be done by physically measuring the change in length of the spring or by using sensors to track the movement.

5. What are some common applications of spring systems with variable tensions?

Spring systems with variable tensions have a wide range of applications, including in mechanical systems such as shock absorbers, car suspensions, and exercise equipment. They are also commonly used in scientific experiments and devices, such as force gauges and precision scales.