Function of a given derivative (calc I)

In summary, the given derivative formula f'(x)=-abs(x-1)+1 represents a function with a mound shape that increases until x=1 and then decreases. The point (1,1) exists on the function of the derivative, suggesting that the original function may have a peak at that point. However, this cannot be confirmed as a peak is not an asymptote, and it is uncertain if a peak can be an exception where the derivative resembles the function itself. More information is needed to determine the exact shape of the original function.
Swerting
I was given a graph of a derivative, f'(x), and I have determined that it's formula is:
[tex]f'(x)=-abs(x-1)+1[/tex]
It wants to know what the function f(x) is, as in the formula given that f(1)=0. I would be able to do this except I can't figure out what the function would BASICALLY look like! what would the function f(x) look like if its derivative is f'(x)=abs(x)? I know that the value of the derivative increases until x=1, where it then decreases, so it has somewhat of a mound shape, and the point (1,1) exists on the function of the derivative, so would it be a peak? i know it can't be an asymptote, but is a peak some kind of exception where the derivative ressembles the function itself?

I just need a push in the right direction of what the original function may look like.:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that

[tex]
|x| = \begin{cases}
\hphantom{-}x, & \text{ if } x \ge 0\\
-x, & \text{ if } x < 0
\end{cases}
[/tex]

1. What is the definition of a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical function that represents the rate of change of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable. It is essentially the slope of a function at a specific point.

2. How is the derivative of a function calculated?

The derivative of a function is calculated using the limit definition of a derivative, which involves finding the slope of a secant line as the two points on the function get closer and closer together.

3. Why is the derivative important?

The derivative is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function and its rate of change. It is also a key tool in solving problems in physics, engineering, and economics.

4. What does the derivative tell us about a function?

The derivative tells us about the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. It also helps us determine the direction and concavity of a function at that point.

5. How is the derivative used in real-world applications?

The derivative is used in real-world applications to model and analyze various phenomena, such as the speed of a moving object, the growth rate of a population, and the rate of change of stock prices. It also helps in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.