Partial Fractions Help - Calc II Integration

In summary, the equations state that the sum of the parts (A,B,C,D) is equal to the whole (A+B+C+D). However, when solving for the variables, they do not add up and it seems as if there is a problem with one of the variables. Perhaps solving for s+1^2 would help?
demersal

Homework Statement

[tex]\int[/tex]1/(s[tex]^{2}[/tex](s-1)[tex]^{2}[/tex]) ds

Homework Equations

Partial Fractions

The Attempt at a Solution

= [tex]\frac{A}{s^{2}}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{B}{s-1}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{C}{(s-1)^{2}}[/tex]

Setting numerators equal to each other:
1 = A(s-1)(s-1)[tex]^{2}[/tex] + Bs[tex]^{2}[/tex](s-1)[tex]^{2}[/tex]+Cs[tex]^{2}[/tex](s-1)
1=(As-A)(s[tex]^{2}[/tex]-2s+1)+Bs[tex]^{2}[/tex](s[tex]^{2}[/tex]-2s+1)+Cs[tex]^{3}[/tex]+Cs[tex]^{2}[/tex]
1=As[tex]^{3}[/tex]-2As[tex]^{2}[/tex]+As-As[tex]^{2}[/tex]+2As-A+Bs[tex]^{4}[/tex]-2Bs[tex]^{3}[/tex]+Bs[tex]^{2}[/tex]+Cs[tex]^{3}[/tex]-Cs[tex]^{3}[/tex]+Cs[tex]^{2}[/tex]
1=Bs[tex]^{4}[/tex]+(A-2B+C)s[tex]^{3}[/tex]+(-3A+B-C)s[tex]^{2}[/tex]+3As-A

Using coefficients to solve for variables (here's where something is up!)
s[tex]^{4}[/tex]: 0=B
s[tex]^{3}[/tex]: 0=A-2B+C
s[tex]^{2}[/tex]: 0=-3A+B-C
s: 0=3A
#: 1=-A

They don't add up! Am I doing something wrong?
Thank you for everyone's time and help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you need a D/s term as well? If you can't solve it you are missing a variable. (s+1)^2 is a repeated factor and you have two variables for it. Why not for s^2 as well?

Ohh okay! I'll give it a try! :)

EDIT: Adding a D/s term only seemed to make the situation worse. Unless I made a slight error, there is now no term A, B, C, or D that stands unattached to an "s" and thus there is no variable to equate to the constant.

Ideas??

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you really have to do it by partial fractions, but a simpler way to do this problem is by trigonometric substitution.

[tex]\frac{1}{s^2(s-1)^2}= \frac{A}{s}+ \frac{B}{s^2}+ \frac{C}{s-1}+ \frac{D}{(s-1)^2}[/tex]
[tex]1= As(s-1)^2+ B(s-1)^2+ Cs^2(s-1)+ Ds^2[/tex]
Taking s= 0, B= 1.
Taking s= 1, D= 1.
Taking s= -1, 1= -4A+ 4B- 2C+ D= -4A+ 4- 2C+ 1 so 4A+ 2C= 4.
Taking s= 2, 1= 2A+ B+ 4C+ 4D= 2A+ 1+ 4C+ 4 so 2A+ 4C= -3

Thank you so much, Hall of Ivy! I had a feeling I was doing way too much work. Now I understand :)

1. What are partial fractions in calculus?

Partial fractions in calculus are a technique used to simplify complex rational expressions by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable fractions. This allows for easier integration and solving of equations.

2. When do we use partial fractions in calculus?

Partial fractions are commonly used in integration, specifically in the process of finding antiderivatives. They are also used in solving differential equations and in other mathematical applications.

3. How do we solve partial fractions in calculus?

The process of solving partial fractions involves breaking down a rational expression into smaller fractions with simpler denominators. This is typically done by factoring the original expression and then setting up a system of equations to solve for the unknown coefficients of the partial fractions.

4. What are some common methods for solving partial fractions in calculus?

There are several methods for solving partial fractions, including the Heaviside cover-up method, the method of undetermined coefficients, and the method of equating coefficients. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain types of problems.

5. Can partial fractions be used for all rational expressions?

No, partial fractions can only be used for proper rational expressions, meaning the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator. Improper rational expressions can be rewritten as a polynomial plus a proper fraction, which can then be solved using partial fractions.