1.7 Proof Methods and Strategy

In summary: Indeed it can be rational only if y_2|y_1=> y_1=ky_2, k \in ZI don't know whether what i did above makes sens to you, but in any case if i were you, i would take the counterexample as a means of showing that in general a^b, cannot be rational.
modzz
1. Prove or disprove that if a and b are rational numbers, then a^b is also rational??

PLEASE HELP...

Physics news on Phys.org
well, you can easily find a counter example...

let

[tex] b=\frac{1}{2}; a=2=> a^b=2^{\frac{1}{2}}=\sqrt{2}[/tex]

But we know that [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is not rational. Or if you don't want to take this for

granted, then all you have to do is prove that [tex] \sqrt{2}[/tex] isn't rational.

Or are you asked to do this differently, like in a more general form?

Last edited:
sutupidmath said:
well, you can easily find a counter example...

let

[tex] b=\frac{1}{2}; a=2=> a^b=2^{\frac{1}{2}}=\sqrt{2}[/tex]

But we know that [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is not rational. Or if you don't want to take this for

granted, then all you have to do is prove that [tex] \sqrt{2}[/tex] isn't rational.

Or are you asked to do this differently, like in a more general form?

I really don't know..but if u can do it in general form that would be great.

modzz said:
I really don't know..but if u can do it in general form that would be great.

Well, usually it is sufficient to find a counterexample to show that something does not hold in general.

because in your case you can think of it this way: let

[tex]c=\frac{x_1}{x_2}, b=\frac{y_1}{y_2}, x_1, x_2, y_1,y_2 \in Z^+[/tex] I am first working only with positive integers, but if u want to prove for any integer, then you have to work in cases.

Also, let [tex] gcd(x_1,x_2)=gcd(y_1,y_2)=1[/tex] Now,

[tex]c= a^b=(a)^{\frac{y_1}{y_2}}[/tex] Now we want to show that c is irrational. Let's suppose the contrary, suppose that c is rational so we can rewrite c as:

[tex] c=\frac{x_1}{x_2}, gcd(x_1,x_2)=1[/tex] This way:

[tex]\frac{x_1}{x_2}=(a)^{\frac{y_1}{y_2}}=>(\frac{x_1}{x_2})^{y_2}=a^{y_1}=>(x_1)^{y_2}=a^{y_1}(x_2)^{y_2}[/tex] so we notice that

[tex] (x_1)^{y_2}\in a^{y_1}Z[/tex] now we want to know what happenes with x_1.

Suppose that x_1 is not in [tex] a^{y_1}Z[/tex] So, this means that

[tex] x_1 \in m+ a^{y_1}Z[/tex] for [tex] m=1,2,...,a^{y_1}-1[/tex] Now let m =1, for our case, so

[tex] x_1=1+a^{y_1}=>(x_1)^{y_2}=(1+ka^{y_1})^{y_2}[/tex] we notice that when we expand the RHS all terms besides the first one will have an [tex] a^{y_1}[/tex] so we can factor this one out, which means that also

[tex](x_1)^{y_2} \in m+ a^{y_1}Z[/tex] which is not true, so the contradition derived means that
[tex]x_1\in a^{y_1}Z=>x_1=a^{y_1}k, k \in Z [/tex]

Now,

[tex](x_1)^{y_2}=a^{y_1}(x_2)^{y_ 2}=>(a^{y_1}k)^{y_2}=a^{y_1}(x_2)^{y_ 2}=>(x_2)^{y_2}=a^{y_1(y_2-1}}k^{y_2}[/tex]

By doing the same reasoning we come to the point where

[tex]x_1=a^rk_1,x_2=a^rk_2, =>gcd(x_1,x_2)=a^r[/tex] which contradicts the fact that [tex] gcd(x_1,x_2)=1[/tex] this way we have proved that

[tex]c= a^b=(a)^{\frac{y_1}{y_2}}[/tex]
cannot be rational.

Indeed it can be rational only if [tex] y_2|y_1=> y_1=ky_2, k \in Z[/tex]

I don't know whether what i did above makes sens to you, but in any case if i were you, i would take the counterexample as a means of showing that in general a^b, cannot be rational.

What is the purpose of proof methods and strategy in scientific research?

The purpose of proof methods and strategy is to provide a systematic approach for scientists to validate their hypotheses and conclusions. It involves using logical reasoning and evidence to support or refute a claim.

What are the most commonly used proof methods in scientific research?

The most commonly used proof methods in scientific research include experimental design, statistical analysis, mathematical modeling, and peer review. These methods help to ensure the validity and reliability of scientific findings.

How can scientists develop an effective proof strategy?

Scientists can develop an effective proof strategy by clearly defining their hypothesis, selecting appropriate methods and techniques, properly controlling variables, and accurately interpreting and presenting their data and results.

What role does critical thinking play in proof methods and strategy?

Critical thinking is essential in proof methods and strategy as it allows scientists to analyze and evaluate evidence, identify potential biases and errors, and make logical and informed conclusions based on the available data.

How do proof methods and strategy contribute to the overall scientific knowledge and advancement?

Proof methods and strategy are crucial in the scientific process as they help to establish the validity and reliability of scientific findings. By using these methods, scientists can build upon existing knowledge and advance our understanding of the natural world.