Logistics growth problem

• Thread starter drdizzard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Growth
In summary, the logistics growth model can be solved for p explicitly by using partial fractions and integrating. To approximate N and k for a given state, collected population data must be used to solve for p and then plug into the equation pN-p^2=ANe^kt.
drdizzard
Given logistics growth model dp/dt=kp(1-p/N)
p=population
t=time
k=unknown growth coefficient (constant)
N=unknown carrying capacity (constant)
1) Solve for p explicitly
2) Given collected population data for a given state approximate N and k for that state.

This is what I did:
dp/(p(1-p/N))=kdt

Using partial fractions I got (1/p + 1/(N-p))dp=kdt

Integrating both sides gave ln(p)+ln(N-p)=kt+c

pN-p^2=e^(kt+c) or pN-p^2=Ae^kt

I am pretty certain I did all of this right but not quite sure, can this be further manipulated to give an explicit solution with only p on one side of the equation

I'm not quite sure how to do the second part and would appreciate any suggestions that would lead in the right direction as to how to go about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
drdizzard said:
Given logistics growth model dp/dt=kp(1-p/N)
p=population
t=time
k=unknown growth coefficient (constant)
N=unknown carrying capacity (constant)
1) Solve for p explicitly
2) Given collected population data for a given state approximate N and k for that state.

This is what I did:
dp/(p(1-p/N))=kdt

Using partial fractions I got (1/p + 1/(N-p))dp=kdt

Integrating both sides gave ln(p)+ln(N-p)=kt+c
No, you've integrated incorrectly. Let u= N-p in the second term and du= -dp.

pN-p^2=e^(kt+c) or pN-p^2=Ae^kt

I am pretty certain I did all of this right but not quite sure, can this be further manipulated to give an explicit solution with only p on one side of the equation

I'm not quite sure how to do the second part and would appreciate any suggestions that would lead in the right direction as to how to go about it.

thanks for checking my work, after working it through again I got:

p=(ANe^kt)/(1+Ae^kt)

1. What is the "Logistics growth problem"?

The "Logistics growth problem" refers to the challenges faced by companies in managing their supply chains and meeting the increasing demands of customers while minimizing costs and maximizing efficiency.

2. What are the main factors that contribute to the Logistics growth problem?

The main factors that contribute to the Logistics growth problem include rapid growth in e-commerce, globalization, increasing customer expectations, supply chain complexity, and infrastructure limitations.

3. How does the Logistics growth problem impact businesses?

The Logistics growth problem can have a significant impact on businesses, including increased operational costs, delayed deliveries, inventory management issues, customer dissatisfaction, and lost sales opportunities.

4. What are some potential solutions to address the Logistics growth problem?

Some potential solutions to address the Logistics growth problem include implementing advanced supply chain technologies, optimizing transportation and warehouse processes, collaborating with suppliers and partners, and continuously monitoring and analyzing data to identify areas for improvement.

5. How can companies stay ahead of the Logistics growth problem?

To stay ahead of the Logistics growth problem, companies should continuously assess and adapt their supply chain strategies, invest in innovative technologies, build strong relationships with suppliers and partners, and proactively anticipate and respond to changes in customer demands and market trends.