Derivative of f(z) with respect to z* does not exist

• Thread starter thesaruman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the author suggests using a chain rule to find the derivative of f with respect to z* and then finding an equation in the same form that states that df/dz*=0. If this equation exists, it must be that f is constant.
thesaruman

Homework Statement

The function f(z) is analytic. Show that the derivative of f(z) with respect to z* does not exist unless f(z) is a constant.
Hint: Use chain rule and take x = (z+z*)/2, y = (z-z*)/2.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{d f}{d z*} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial z*} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial z*}[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I used this relation, considering that the analyticity of f guarantees this. I'm not sure of this procedure, but it was the only way i figured out to use the hint of the author. Then, the result was this:

[tex]\frac{d f}{d z*} = \frac{1}{2} \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} + i \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \right)[/tex].

Next, I used another relation which I seriously doubt of:

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = \frac{d f}{d z} \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = 1 [/tex].

Analogously, I deduced that

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = \frac{d f}{d z} \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} = i [/tex].

With these results, the previous equation becomes:

[tex]\frac{d f}{d z*} = \frac{1}{2} \left( \frac{d f}{d z} - \frac{d f}{d z} \right) = 0 [/tex].

This result sounds like an absurd to me, and this could be the answer by "reductio ad absurdum" but my hypothesis doesn't seem correct (or rigorous). Someone has any idea?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You mean,
[tex]
\frac{d f}{d z*} = \frac{1}{2} \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} + i \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \right)
[/tex]
I'm sure. The rest of your argument is correct. And yes, df/dz*=0. So if df/dz* exists, it must be zero. You can also reach the same conclusion by substituting f=u(x,y)+i*v(x,y) into that relation and using the Cauchy-Riemann equations. It is a little confusing to phrase it this way. I would say f(z*) is analytic only if f is constant.

Thanks, very much.

1. What does it mean when the derivative of f(z) with respect to z* does not exist?

When the derivative of f(z) with respect to z* does not exist, it means that the function f(z) is not differentiable at the point z* in the complex plane. This could be due to a sharp turn or a cusp in the graph of the function at that point.

2. Can a function be continuous but not differentiable at a point?

Yes, a function can be continuous but not differentiable at a point. This happens when the function has a sharp corner or a cusp at that point, which makes it impossible to find a unique tangent line at that point.

3. How is the derivative of a complex function different from the derivative of a real-valued function?

The derivative of a complex function is different from the derivative of a real-valued function because the complex numbers have two components, a real part and an imaginary part. This means that the derivative of a complex function has two parts, the partial derivative with respect to the real variable and the partial derivative with respect to the imaginary variable.

4. What is the Cauchy-Riemann equations and how are they related to the existence of a derivative of a complex function?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are a set of conditions that must be satisfied for a complex function to be differentiable at a point. These equations relate the partial derivatives of a complex function with respect to the real and imaginary variables. If these equations are satisfied at a point, then the derivative of the function exists at that point.

5. Can we use the limit definition of a derivative to find the derivative of a complex function?

Yes, we can use the limit definition of a derivative to find the derivative of a complex function. However, the complex derivative is defined using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, so in most cases, it is easier to use these equations to find the derivative rather than using the limit definition.