Spray Volume/liquid Displacement

In summary, Brett is a new member of the forum who is seeking help with a project involving a pump/perfume bottle mechanism. He is a mechanical design engineer and is unsure if he is posting in the correct forum. He needs to calculate the amount of liquid displaced with each pump of the mechanism and is asking for assistance or guidance. Another member suggests that the swept volume of the pump chamber should equal the fluid displacement, unless there is leakage.
cdc02254
I am new to the forum so please go easy on me. I know I may be posting this in the wrong forum but I am a mechanical design engineer so if it doesn't have cogs I am in trouble.

I am working on a project in which i have a pump/perfume bottle type of mechanism, I need to calculate how much liquid is displaced with each pump of the mechanism.

Can someone either help me with this calculation or point me in the correct direction.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind Regards

Brett

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Brett.
As far as I know, the swept volume of the pump chamber should equal the fluid displacement... barring leakage.

Hello Brett,

Welcome to the forum! I can definitely help you with this calculation. The volume of liquid displaced with each pump of your mechanism is dependent on several factors such as the size of the pump, the pressure applied, and the viscosity of the liquid.

To calculate the volume of liquid displaced, you can use the formula: V = A*h, where V is the volume, A is the cross-sectional area of the pump, and h is the height of the liquid column pushed out by the pump.

To determine the cross-sectional area of the pump, you can measure the diameter of the pump and use the formula: A = π*r^2, where π is the mathematical constant pi and r is the radius of the pump.

Next, you will need to measure the height of the liquid column pushed out by the pump. This can be done by filling the pump with a known volume of liquid and then pumping it out into a measuring cylinder.

Finally, you can use these values to calculate the volume of liquid displaced with each pump.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

Best regards,

What is spray volume/liquid displacement?

Spray volume/liquid displacement refers to the amount of liquid that is sprayed or dispersed from a nozzle, typically measured in units of volume (e.g. liters, gallons, etc.). This measurement is important in many industries, such as agriculture, where the amount of liquid applied can affect crop health and yield.

How is spray volume/liquid displacement calculated?

The spray volume/liquid displacement is calculated by multiplying the flow rate of the nozzle (in liters per minute) by the spray width (in meters) and the travel speed of the sprayer (in meters per second). This calculation gives the total volume of liquid sprayed per unit area.

What factors can affect spray volume/liquid displacement?

There are several factors that can affect spray volume/liquid displacement, including the size and type of nozzle, the pressure at which the liquid is sprayed, the angle and height of the nozzle, and environmental conditions (e.g. wind, temperature, etc.). It is important to carefully consider these factors when determining the appropriate spray volume for a given application.

Why is it important to accurately measure spray volume/liquid displacement?

Accurate measurement of spray volume/liquid displacement is crucial for ensuring the effectiveness and efficiency of the spraying process. Too little liquid may not provide adequate coverage, while too much can result in waste and potential environmental harm. Additionally, knowing the exact amount of liquid applied can help with record-keeping and compliance with regulations.

What tools or techniques can be used to measure spray volume/liquid displacement?

There are various tools and techniques that can be used to measure spray volume/liquid displacement, including flow meters, catch cups, and test strips. Some newer technologies also use sensors and computer software to monitor and adjust spray volume in real-time. It is important to choose a method that is appropriate for the specific spraying application.