Find the maximum AC current flowing through the generator.

In summary, the conversation discusses a generator with output voltage connected to a transformer with an iron core and a resistor in the secondary circuit. The maximum AC current flowing through the generator can be found by using the equation V2 = (N2 / N1) V1 and solving for I1. However, the correct answer is B, not A. This is because the question asks for Imax in the primary circuit, so the equation V2 = (N2 / N1) V1 should be rearranged to V1 = (N1 / N2) V2 before solving for I1.
driedupfish
QUESTION 10***
A generator with output voltage ε(t) = εmax cos (ωt) is connected to the primary of a transformer. A resistor is connected to the transformer secondary. The transformer has an iron core with N1 turns on the primary and N2 turns on the secondary. Assume that the transformer is ideal and dissipates no energy.

Find the maximum AC current flowing through the generator.

http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?courses/phys212/oldexams/exam3/fa07/fig10b.gif

http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?courses/phys212/oldexams/exam3/fa07/fig10a.gif

V2 = (N2 / N1) V1. <--- equation for transformer

V2 is the voltage across the second coil, and V1 is the generator voltage, which is Emax.
So to solve for the max AC current, I divide V2 by R, which would yield choice A, but the answer is B, can someone explain what I did wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

They have asked Imax in primary circuit.
V2 = (N2 / N1) V1.
Next input power = outputpower.
So V2 I2 = V1I1
I1 = (V2/V1)I2.. Substitute the values of V2/V1 and I2 to get the result.

Your approach is correct, but there may be a mistake in your calculation. Let's break down the steps to find the maximum AC current flowing through the generator:

1. Use the equation for the transformer: V2 = (N2 / N1) V1
2. Substitute in the given values: V2 = (N2 / N1) Emax
3. Use Ohm's Law to find the current: I = V2 / R
4. Substitute in the resistance value: I = (N2 / N1) Emax / R
5. Simplify: I = (N2 / N1) (Emax / R)

So the correct answer should be A, as you initially thought. It's possible that you made an error in your calculation and got the wrong answer. Double check your work and see if you can find the mistake.

1. What is the maximum AC current flowing through the generator?

The maximum AC current flowing through the generator is the highest amount of alternating electric current that the generator is capable of producing. This value is important in determining the power output of the generator.

2. How is the maximum AC current determined?

The maximum AC current is determined by the design and specifications of the generator. This includes factors such as the size and type of the generator, the strength of the magnetic field, and the speed at which the generator is rotating.

3. Why is it important to know the maximum AC current of a generator?

Knowing the maximum AC current of a generator is important for several reasons. It allows for proper sizing and selection of electrical equipment and helps prevent overloading of the generator, which can lead to damage. It also provides information on the power output capabilities of the generator.

4. Can the maximum AC current of a generator be increased?

Yes, the maximum AC current of a generator can be increased by making changes to its design or by adding external devices such as transformers. However, these changes should only be made by a qualified professional to ensure the safety and proper functioning of the generator.

5. How does the maximum AC current affect the voltage output of a generator?

The maximum AC current and voltage output of a generator are directly related. In general, as the maximum AC current increases, so does the voltage output. This relationship is determined by the design and specifications of the generator and can be adjusted through changes to the generator's components.