Thermal expansion of diameter of pipe filled with water

In summary, the water will expand by 1.89e-5m^3 if there is a solid steel cylinder replacing the water. To calculate the new diameter and thickness of the pipe, you must assume the water is incompressible and calculate the expansion of the water.
thermalquestion
I would like to calculate the new diameter and thickness of a steel pipe filled with water.

At 20oC the pipe ID is 0.1016m and thickness is 0.0127m.
Coef vol th exp water 21e-5/oC
coef lin th exp steel 1.2e-6
The pipe can be assumed 1m in length.

I calculated that the water would expand by 1.89e-5m^3 and if there was a solid steel cylinder replacing the water it would expand by 3.25e-6m^3.
So, assuming water is incompressible I think I can not ignore the expansion of the water.
In this case do I take the expansion of the water only to calculate the new ID?
How then do I calculate the new thickness of the pipe?
I'm confised.
Any help appreciated.
P

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a problem out of a book, or are you trying to solve a real problem ?

Is the change in temperature 20C ?

Are the ends of the pipe closed off, creating a cylindrical vessel completely filled with water ?

This is not a problem out of a book. I genuinely have a pipe filled with water.The pipe is actually part of a flow loop but let's assume there is zero flow. The water is encased by the pipe and cann ot spill over. The change in temperature is 5oC. Changing from 20-25oC. 20oC is the datum.
P

thermalquestion said:
This is not a problem out of a book. I genuinely have a pipe filled with water.The pipe is actually part of a flow loop but let's assume there is zero flow. The water is encased by the pipe and cann ot spill over. The change in temperature is 5oC. Changing from 20-25oC. 20oC is the datum.
P

In that case the best way to answer the question is experimentation- actually set this up, fill it with water of the appropriate temperature and measure!

Are you saying there is no calculation which can be used to estimate this? The uncertainty in the measurement may be bigger than the effect.
P

Your problem is not stated clearly enough. If the water is in an open line, there is no effect from the water. Even if not, there are probably enough bubbles/air gaps to accommodate the expansion of the water.

The expansion of diameter(s) and length of the pipe will depend on how it is constrained - ie : the boundary conditions. Are you suggesting you want to treat this section of pipe as being so far removed from the constraints that it can be assumed to behave like a free body ?

So, neglecting the effect of water and assuming the length and diameter are both unconstrained (no clamps need to be considered), the new diameter is given by

[tex]d' = d(1 + \alpha \delta T) [/tex] and the new length is

[tex]L' = L(1 + \alpha \delta T) [/tex] , where [tex] \delta T[/tex] is the temperature change.

ie : the interior volume expands as if it were a cylinder of steel.

The new volume of the pipe material is

[tex]V' = V(1 + 3\alpha \delta T) [/tex]

From the V' and d', you can calculate the new thickness, t' = D' - d'.

[tex] V' = \frac {\pi L'} {4}(D'^2 - d'^2) [/tex]

Last edited:
OK, I wasn't sure if this linear calculation was sufficient and was probably just making it unnessisarily complicated. Yes, the water is in an open system so the expansion of the water can be ignored, you are right. Thanks.

Since the pipe is not a cylinder there are two boundaries to be considered. The outer and inner diameter. How do calculate both the inner and outer diameter? I understand the outer diameter if the pipe is a solid cylinder but how to treat the internal diameter in the case of a hollow cylinder?

1. What is thermal expansion and how does it affect the diameter of a pipe filled with water?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of matter to increase in size when heated and decrease in size when cooled. This phenomenon affects the diameter of a pipe filled with water because as the temperature of the water increases, it expands and puts pressure on the walls of the pipe, causing it to expand as well.

2. How does the material of the pipe affect thermal expansion?

The material of the pipe can greatly affect thermal expansion. Materials that have a higher coefficient of thermal expansion, such as metals, will expand and contract more than materials with lower coefficients, such as plastics. This means that a metal pipe filled with water will experience a greater increase in diameter due to thermal expansion compared to a plastic pipe filled with water.

3. What is the coefficient of thermal expansion and how is it measured?

The coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) is a measure of how much a material expands or contracts when heated or cooled. It is typically measured in units of length per degree Celsius (or Fahrenheit). This value can be found in material specifications and is important to consider when designing structures that are subjected to temperature changes.

4. Is thermal expansion a concern for pipes filled with water?

Yes, thermal expansion can be a concern for pipes filled with water. If the expansion is significant enough, it can cause the pipe to burst or leak. This is especially important to consider in cold climates where water can freeze and cause additional pressure on the pipe.

5. How can thermal expansion be managed in pipes filled with water?

There are several ways to manage thermal expansion in pipes filled with water. One method is to use expansion joints, which are flexible connectors that allow for the pipe to expand and contract without causing damage. Another option is to install pressure relief valves that can release excess pressure in the pipe. Additionally, designing the pipe with enough room for expansion and contraction can also help mitigate any issues.