Computer Science/Engineering positions for a physics major?

In summary, it is common for physics majors to work in fields such as engineering and computer science due to the availability of jobs and higher pay. Many physics majors also gain experience in these fields through their studies and hobbies. It is possible for someone studying a different subject in school to get a job in these fields, but it may require taking relevant courses or getting internships. It is also worth considering one's career goals and structuring education accordingly, such as seeking internships for industry jobs or taking courses in areas like statistics. However, it is important not to worry too much early on and to explore one's interests and talents before making any major decisions.
Apexny
I will soon be starting my freshman year in college studying physics. As I read more and more about the actual career of a physicist, I often see people mention that after getting a physics diploma, they get jobs in engineering and Computer Science positions. I'm pretty ignorant about academia and the professional world, so I was wondering how exactly is it possible for someone studying a completely different subject in school to come out and get a job like this? Is perhaps the work very similar, or must a physics major take engineering classes at some point?

Could it be said that physics majors OFTEN work in these fields because of a lower availability of physics related jobs? If so, I'm kind of scared. I'm wondering what I'm getting myself into here. The entire practice of switching fields is very bizarre to me.

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Better pay probably has something to do with it - I'd imagine that you get more money working in engineering or CS (which are industrially applicable fields) than in actual physics (which could pretty much limit you to academia).

As for how it's possible: physics makes heavy use of computers these days, so it's easy to pick up some computing experience during your studies as a physics major (let me rephrase: it's hard not to). Not to mention, a lot of physics majors are hobbyist programmers on the side :wink: Probably the same sort of thing applies to engineering.

I imagine most physics majors who go into engineering or CS after graduation get some pretty substantial experience with the other fields, at least if they're getting competitive jobs. I imagine a lot of this experience is either in jobs or, perhaps more often, in the form of courses/minors/double majors.

About 75% of the physics majors at my school are double-majoring, and I believe all the rest have minors.

I'm sure that if you know CS as well as a CS major you wouldn't have trouble. Good luck fitting that into your already busy physics schedule! I would recommend looking at job postings for entry level CS positions.

If you really want to do CS work, start tailoring your education towards that now. I thought I could get away with a summer internship in data analysis and taking the required year of Java and upper division physics coursework that intersects with CS. I took my knowledge and experience to a web design job interview and a Microsoft interview - and was slaughtered.

I quit applying for CS type positions even though I am 100% confident that I could learn everything and more to get the job done.

This may be the greatest question ever. I enjoy the fact physics majors can get into computer science and engineering. If anything getting physics PhD for super smarts and hopes of working in a lab. But if no labs i could pursue my first love-computer work stuff. And Engineering jobs are available everywhere it seems

Moving into engineering from physics is not much of a stretch because engineering can be considered applied physics. This is not say that it doesn't sometimes take a little convincing, but it can be done.

It is probably worth considering whether you might want to go into industry and structure your time accordingly. For an academic track, working in professors' labs and assisting with research will be very helpful, while if you do want to go into industry corporate internships are extremely helpful. You do not need to take engineering classes to be an engineer, but having some engineering classes (substitute CS if you like that better) on your transcript will make the convincing easier. There are specialized kinds of engineering where this does not apply, but if you wanted to do that you could simply enter one of those programs.

To give an example from personal experience, I decided that the academic world was not for me, so I looked for industrial jobs that would hire physics graduates. I interviewed with a defense company and a medical device manufacturer for the kind of jobs that mechanical engineers do. I ended up as a medical engineer, but many such things are possible. I took the freshman year engineering design seminar, but no other engineering classes. It helps if your school has a preexisting relationship with a company, because it makes it easier to get an interview. This is where the internships come in handy, because you build that critical relationship, and get valuable experience.

Something that is extremely valuable in industry is statistics, and it is typically very easy for a physics student to fit stats in as part of the required math classes.

However, since you are still very early in your schooling, you should not fret yet. You still have time to see where your interests and talents lie in greater detail, and then you can pour greater energy into those areas.

1. What skills from a physics major are transferrable to computer science/engineering positions?

Physics majors often have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, which are highly valued in computer science and engineering roles. Additionally, their experience with mathematical modeling and data analysis can be applied to programming and software development.

2. Do I need a computer science degree to work in the field?

No, many employers in the computer science and engineering field value a diverse range of backgrounds and skills. While a computer science degree may provide a more direct path, a physics major can also gain relevant experience through internships, self-study, and coding projects.

3. What types of computer science/engineering positions are available for physics majors?

Physics majors can pursue a variety of roles in the computer science and engineering field, including software development, data analysis, machine learning, and computational modeling. They may also apply their skills in industries such as aerospace, defense, or renewable energy.

4. How can I stand out as a physics major in a competitive job market for computer science/engineering positions?

To stand out, it is important to highlight relevant technical skills and experience on your resume, such as programming languages, data analysis tools, and software development projects. Additionally, emphasizing your problem-solving abilities and adaptability as a physics major can make you a valuable candidate for these positions.

5. Are there any resources or programs available specifically for physics majors interested in computer science/engineering positions?

Yes, there are several resources and programs available for physics majors looking to enter the computer science and engineering field. Some universities offer dual-degree programs in physics and computer science, and there are also coding bootcamps and online courses that can provide relevant skills and experience. It is also helpful to join professional organizations and attend networking events to connect with professionals in the field.