How to get a 180deg shaft rotation out of a 180 deg hidden hinge?

In summary, there are two possible mechanical systems that could fulfill the requirements of a sophisticated folding leaf table with a flush surface when opened. The first is a traditional piano hinge, while the second is a hidden hinge that can be found in a unique metal bending machine. The second solution is further improved with a pantograph or parallel linkage, or a spherical hinge. These options can be found by searching for 'Magnabend Hinge Model SE2' online.
David Knight
A 180 degree movement (12 o’ clock to 6 o’ clock in a clockwise direction) transposed into a180deg shaft rotation with no mechanical components present at the pivot point or in the swept arc after movement (i.e right hand side of clock face)

Example: I’m currently designing a sophisticated folding leaf table as a home project. The key features I would like to incorporate into the design are:
Firstly, a traditional leaf table uses a piano hinge positioned so that when the table is folded open 180deg the axis of the hinge is just above the surface of the table. I intend to use a 180 degree hidden hinge so that the table has a flush surface when folded open. Note that the point of rotation is slightly above the surface of the table so that when the table is closed the two surfaces are held about 4mm apart.
Secondly, (and perhaps most difficult) I would like the rotation of the table leaf to be geared to the rotation of the supporting structure without any of the gearing system protruding above the surface of the table when opened

Can anyone suggest a mechanical system that would for fill these requirements?

The problem I can’t seam to get around is that below the flush surface of the table there is always less than 180 degrees of space around the pivot point.

My history is in ship structures but I have never studied mechanical engineering, can anyone recommend a good site for introducing someone to geared systems and the different types available.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
and sorry for the delay.

The “hidden hinge pin” challenge was intelligently solved in 1985 for application to a unique metal bending machine.
http://aaybee.com.au/Magnabend/Magnabend_Homepage.html
There is an animation of that hinge at the bottom of the page, and links to further details.

There are several available solutions. One is the older pantograph or parallel linkage, immediately applicable to a table, the other is the improved spherical solution. Such hinges are described here.
http://www.aaybee.com.au/Magnabend/Magnabend History of Development and Manufacture.html#PantographHinge

Google search 'Magnabend Hinge Model SE2' for assembled hinges on the web.

1. How does a hidden hinge achieve a 180 degree shaft rotation?

A hidden hinge is designed with a unique mechanism that allows it to rotate a full 180 degrees. This mechanism typically involves a series of gears and levers that work together to provide a smooth and complete rotation.

2. Can a 180 degree hidden hinge be used on any type of door or cabinet?

Yes, a 180 degree hidden hinge can be used on most types of doors and cabinets. However, it is important to make sure that the hinge is compatible with the weight and size of the door or cabinet it will be installed on.

3. Are there any special installation requirements for a 180 degree hidden hinge?

While the installation process may vary slightly depending on the specific hinge and door/cabinet, most 180 degree hidden hinges require a precise positioning and alignment for proper functioning. It is important to carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation.

4. Are there any maintenance or lubrication requirements for a 180 degree hidden hinge?

Like any other hinge, a 180 degree hidden hinge may require occasional maintenance and lubrication to ensure smooth operation. It is recommended to use a lubricant specifically designed for hinges and to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for maintenance.

5. Can a 180 degree hidden hinge be adjusted if it becomes loose or stiff?

Yes, most 180 degree hidden hinges have adjustable tension settings that allow for easy adjustments if the hinge becomes too loose or stiff. However, it is important to refer to the manufacturer's instructions for proper adjustment procedures.