Solving Slider Crank Problem: Tips & Advice

In summary, the problem is asking for the values of theta at maximum velocity and minimum acceleration, and to find these values, you can assume a constant value for angular velocity (omega) and use the piston motion equations. The graphs of velocity and acceleration vs. theta will change in magnitude but not in shape, so choosing a convenient value for omega can make calculations easier.
deesal
I'm having trouble figuring out this problem. I know how to solve the problem if the angular velocity was known but there seem to be too many unknowns to be able to generate graphs. If anyone can offer advice that would be great.

Attachments

• piston.jpg
    piston.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 750
Engineering news on Phys.org
If you know how to solve the problem, you should have an equation for acceleration as a function of theta (you may not know the value of omega, but you know that the angular velocity is a constant). There's no reason you can't plot this function if you scale your y-axis in units of omega^2...

I'm having trouble figuring this out when I put the y components together the theta gets canceled out and velocity is not linear in this problem and I have no idea where my mistake was

The problem is basically asking you to find two things:

• Theta at max velocity
  • Theta at min acceleration
To find these two values, you can just assume a value for omega (angular speed, d/dt of theta) because those values of theta will not change with angular speed. The graphs of velocity and acceleration vs. theta will change in magnitude but not in shape, so I would just assume soemthing for omega that makes calculation easy (like 60 rpm, 2pi rad/s). The problem states that you should assume the angular velocity is constant, which tells me you are meant to assume a constant value for it.

The piston motion equations should help you find the result:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piston_motion_equations

1. What is the Slider Crank Mechanism?

The Slider Crank Mechanism is a basic mechanical system that is used to transform rotary motion into reciprocating motion, or vice versa. It consists of a slider, crank, connecting rod, and a rotating shaft.

2. What is the purpose of solving the Slider Crank Problem?

The purpose of solving the Slider Crank Problem is to determine the forces and motions involved in the mechanism, as well as to optimize its performance and efficiency.

3. What are some tips for solving the Slider Crank Problem?

Some tips for solving the Slider Crank Problem include breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, using free body diagrams, and considering all the forces and moments acting on the mechanism.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving the Slider Crank Problem?

Some common mistakes when solving the Slider Crank Problem include neglecting friction and other external forces, not considering the dimensions and geometry of the mechanism, and overlooking the effects of acceleration and inertia.

5. How can I improve my understanding of the Slider Crank Mechanism?

To improve your understanding of the Slider Crank Mechanism, you can practice solving different types of problems, consult with experts or colleagues, and utilize online resources and tutorials. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of basic mechanics and kinematics.