Prove that the additive inverse -v of an element v in a vector space is unique.

And I hope you agree that A + y + z is equal to itself?Yes, A + y + z is equal to itself. In summary, we can prove that the additive inverse -v of an element v in a vector space is unique by showing that if there are two different elements y and z in V that satisfy the equation v + y = 0 and v + z = 0, then y and z must be equal. This is done by looking at the expression v + y + z and using the other axioms of a vector space. Therefore, there can only be one additive inverse for each element in a vector space.
mammarf

Homework Statement

Prove that the additive inverse -v of an element v in a vector space is unique.

Homework Equations

Additive Inverse in V

For each v in V, there is an element -v in V such that v + (-v) = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume that the additive inverse is not unique and there exists different y,z in V such that
A + y = 0
A + z = 0
which implies y = -A and z = -A => y=z which is a contradiction.
Hence, the additive inverse is unique.

Correct? sumthin missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
You say: this implies y = -A and z = -A.
What is -A? Is it the element you are trying to prove is unique? The one which you just called y (or z, which should be the same, but you're trying to prove that)?

I propose looking at the expression A + y + z. You may use all the other axioms of a vector space (x + y = y + x, x + 0 = x, 0 x = x 0 = 0, ...)

Doesn't work because this could happen:

A+y = 0 -> y+A+y = y+0 -> y = y
A+z = 0 -> z+A+z = z+0 -> z = z

which doesn't say anything about y and z.

What you do have is A+y=0 and A+z=0, so A+y=A+z, right?

CompuChip said:
You say: this implies y = -A and z = -A.
What is -A? Is it the element you are trying to prove is unique? The one which you just called y (or z, which should be the same, but you're trying to prove that)?

I propose looking at the expression A + y + z. You may use all the other axioms of a vector space (x + y = y + x, x + 0 = x, 0 x = x 0 = 0, ...)

My bad. A and -A are elements in V and I am trying to prove that -A is unique. (basically replace A with v in the relevant equations.)

vela said:

Yes, I concur.
"A+y=A+z => y=z which is a contradiction"
Is this correct?

(u prolly noticed that I'm really weak in this, hence y I'm looking everywhere for answers.)

You should show how you get rid of the A's.

If you assume there's more than one additive inverse of A, then it's a contradiction, so the initial assumption was wrong: there must not be more than one additive inverse. If you don't assume y and z are distinct but are additive inverses of A, you've proved that they have to be equal, so there's only one additive inverse for each A. Either way works.

vela said:

Err, I was talking about A + y + z, not A + y + y or A + z + z.
If A + y = 0, then A + y + z = (A + y) + z = 0 + z = z.
If A + z = 0, then A + y + z = (A + z) + y = 0 + y = y.

And I hope you agree that A + y + z is equal to itself?

CompuChip said:
Err, I was talking about A + y + z, not A + y + y or A + z + z.
I was replying to mammarf's original post. You and I replied at the same time.

1. What is an additive inverse in a vector space?

An additive inverse in a vector space is an element that, when added to another element, results in the additive identity (usually denoted as 0). In other words, it is the "opposite" of the original element, canceling it out when added together.

2. Why is it important to prove the uniqueness of the additive inverse?

It is important to prove the uniqueness of the additive inverse because it ensures that there is only one possible solution when finding the inverse of an element in a vector space. This helps to maintain the consistency and accuracy of mathematical operations.

3. How is the uniqueness of the additive inverse proven?

The uniqueness of the additive inverse is proven using a proof by contradiction method. This involves assuming that there are two different additive inverses for a given element and showing that this assumption leads to a contradiction, therefore proving that there can only be one unique additive inverse.

4. Can the uniqueness of the additive inverse be proven for all vector spaces?

Yes, the uniqueness of the additive inverse can be proven for all vector spaces. This is because the definition of a vector space includes the existence of an additive inverse for every element, and the proof for uniqueness applies to any vector space.

5. How does the uniqueness of the additive inverse relate to other properties of vector spaces?

The uniqueness of the additive inverse is closely tied to other properties of vector spaces, such as closure under addition and existence of the additive identity. It is also a fundamental property that allows for the existence of other important concepts in linear algebra, such as inverse matrices and linear transformations.