DIY: Adding a Valve to PVC Tube for Bicycle Pump

In summary: Once the stem is in place, use the tool to screw the cap back on. It should now be impossible to remove without the tool. Just use a light tap with the hammer to make sure it is seated properly.In summary, to put a valve (like the ones on tire tubes) that will connect to a bicycle pump onto a PVC tube (on the side, or at the end), you will need a valve from a tire shop, epoxy, and a little 'lube'.
Moose352
I'd like to put a valve (like the ones on tire tubes) that will connect to a bicycle pump onto a PVC tube (on the side, or at the end). Anyone know how I can do this? What fittings will I need?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How strange; I did this once.

The valve assembly should fit nicely in a clean hole made in the end cap for the PVC pipe. Just get a valve from a tire shop and drill the hole to size. I think I used epoxy to seal the joint.

Don't bother with the epoxy. As long as the hole is not burred it will be fine. I have never seen a valve stem sealed with anything other than a little bit of soap solution when pulling it through the hole in the rim.

Actually, I think you're right. I am thinking that I got some but never needed it.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand what is holding the valve in place? Is the valve threaded or something? Thanks for the help guys.

Moose352 said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand what is holding the valve in place? Is the valve threaded or something? Thanks for the help guys.

I was going to ask the same question. I think you'll need the epoxy, after all. Just drill out a 0.030" over clearance hole and stick it in place.

I've used (Emerson & Cuming) Stycast 2850 epoxy to seal between PVC and stainless steel. I'm sure there's cheaper glues that will work just as well.

Last edited:
Go buy a valve stem and you will undestand. NO GLUE is required. Just a little soapy water to allow the valve stem to slide in easily.

BTW, a smaller hole is required, not something .030 over.

Averagesupernova,

Are you perhaps suggesting the drill hole be just right to make a tight fit ?

Alright, I'll trust you and go ahead without the epoxy. Thanks for the help!

I have changed MANY tires. So many in fact that I own a tire machine. The valve stem is conical up to a point. Then it suddenly drops off into a groove. This groove is what holds it in the hole and yes the hole should be slightly smaller than the diameter of the groove. You would think then that it is impossible to remove the stem once it is in place. This is not so. It can be pried out again, but it is a major hassle. When you buy the stem, also buy the tool that is used to thread over the threaded part of the stem to pull it through the hole. The tool is a little tee-handle affair. It threads onto the part of the stem that the cap normally threads onto. Just be sure to use lots of 'lube' when installing. Use a good slippery dish washing soap. Don't use a petroleum based product.

1. How do I add a valve to a PVC tube for a bicycle pump?

Adding a valve to a PVC tube for a bicycle pump can be done in a few simple steps. First, you will need to gather the necessary materials such as a PVC tube, a valve, and a valve stem. Then, make a small hole in the PVC tube using a drill or knife. Next, insert the valve stem into the hole and secure it with adhesive or a clamp. Finally, test the valve by attaching it to a bicycle pump and inflating a tire.

2. What type of valve should I use for my DIY bicycle pump?

There are a few different types of valves that can be used for a DIY bicycle pump, but the most common ones are Schrader and Presta valves. Schrader valves are typically found on mountain bikes and have a larger diameter, while Presta valves are commonly used on road bikes and have a smaller diameter. It is important to choose the correct valve type for your bike in order for the pump to work effectively.

3. Can I use any type of PVC tube for this DIY project?

Not all PVC tubes are suitable for use as a bicycle pump. It is important to choose a tube with a thick enough wall to withstand the pressure of pumping air into a tire. A tube with a diameter of 1 inch or larger is recommended for this project. Additionally, make sure the PVC tube is clean and free of any debris or sharp edges that could damage the valve or cause a leak.

4. Do I need any special tools for this DIY project?

While some DIY projects may require specific tools, adding a valve to a PVC tube for a bicycle pump can be done with basic tools that are likely already in your toolbox. These may include a drill, knife, adhesive, and a clamp. However, if you are not comfortable using these tools, it may be best to seek assistance from someone who is experienced in DIY projects.

5. Is it safe to use a DIY bicycle pump with a PVC tube?

As long as the PVC tube and valve are properly secured and in good condition, it should be safe to use a DIY bicycle pump. However, it is important to regularly check the PVC tube and valve for any signs of wear or damage. If you notice any issues, it is recommended to replace the PVC tube and valve before using the pump again. Safety should always be a top priority when using any type of DIY equipment.