Solve for t: Forming a Series 3/(2√3)=cos(3t+4.189)

• Thread starter CR9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the problem is to solve for t in the equation 3/(2√3)=cos(3t+4.189), where 0.866=cos(3t+4.189). The approach is to use the fact that cos^(-1)θ has 2 values for every 2 pi, specifically at 30 and -30 degrees, or 2nπ ± π/6 for n = -∞ to ∞. From there, the problem can be solved by substituting values of n in the equation and solving for t. The given value of 4.189 may be a decimal approximation.
CR9

Homework Statement

3/(2√3)=cos(3t+4.189)

and therefore,

0.866=cos(3t+4.189)

I need to solve for t.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that cos^(-1)θ has 2 values for every 2 pi, that is at 30 and 330 degrees.

But there is no limit given, so its probably from 0 to infinite,thus the question wants me to form a new series whereby by substituting n=0,1,2,3 and etc, I will be able to find t.

I don't know how to form this new formula/series as I was not thought this chap in calculus 2 (my lecturer was way behiind schedule, hence she skipped it)

Hope you guys can help me.

Thanks alot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of writing 30 and 330, think about 30 and -30 and angles coterminal with those. Using radians like you should in a problem like this you could express those angles as

[tex] 3t + 4.189 = 2n\pi \pm \frac \pi 6,\ n = -\infty..\infty[/tex]

and solve for t. Is that 4.189 what you were really given or just a decimal approximation to it?

1. What is the equation trying to solve for?

The equation is trying to solve for the value of t.

2. Why is there a square root in the equation?

The square root is present because it is a part of the cosine function. In this equation, the cosine function is being used to represent a series of values.

3. What is the significance of the number 4.189 in the equation?

The number 4.189 is the initial phase angle for the cosine function. It represents where the graph of the cosine function begins on the x-axis.

4. How do I solve for t in this equation?

To solve for t, you will need to use algebraic manipulation to isolate t on one side of the equation. This may involve using trigonometric identities and the inverse cosine function.

5. Can this equation have multiple solutions for t?

Yes, this equation can have multiple solutions for t. Since the cosine function is periodic, there may be more than one value of t that satisfies the equation.