Stats & Physics Blend: Pursuing a Career in Research

In summary: A statistician is someone who comes in after the data has been collected and analyzed, and tries to make sense of it.
quanto
What sort of a blend would this be? Let's say I am interested in being part of a research in some physics discipline but not necessarily as a physicist but as a statistician/data analyst. Like The guys/girls who compile, analyze etc the data from experiments on particle interaction, for example. And they pass this data on to the scientists to interpret and analyze it in their own terms. So on the same team but a different role. Is there really such a thing? How would one go about designing their undergrad/graduate studies to go about pursuing such a career?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll assume that studying physics is important to you as well, otherwise I might have suggested different undergraduate degrees.

quanto said:
Is there really such a thing?

Yep. Statisticians are needed (unfortunately for the community, not always present..) in one form or another in every research group. It is my feeling that good statistics is lacking in many research disciplines, though not highlighting physics in particular.

quanto said:
How would one go about designing their undergrad/graduate studies to go about pursuing such a career?

Pick up whatever statistics courses you can during your undergraduate. If you're looking to work in research, then a PhD in some sort of data analysis/statistics won't be hard to come by for a physics graduate - so you won't necessarily need any official statistics component of your degree. Even if you take a PhD in physics, you will be able to find something that involves analysing data sets, or you could find somewhere that will let you build a key statistics component into your research (you don't need to research in statistics, only apply it to the level that you can start to understand how all this stuff works). The 'statisticians' I know in my old physics department are just physicists with an interest in statistics - being the 'go to guy' for stats advice has the interesting effect where you will learn more about statistics, and so become even more-so that 'go to guy'.

cool advice faster, thanks!

i was also wondering if i want to work as a statistician in a research lab would i need to double major in that corresponding scientific discipline too? or is that something that the physicist, biologist can carry out on their own?

Where exactly are you thinking you want to do research? Industry or academia?

In academia, I would expect that, at least in physics, most graduate students are expected to know (or to learn) enough statistics to carry out their own analyses. They won't usually go searching for statisticians to analyze their data for them. Furthermore, a professor isn't going to hire a statistician to analyze the data, because they could use that money to pay a student or postdoc who knows the physics inside out and can do statistical analysis. If you want to do research in academia, in physics, you'd be better offer studying physics as a major and taking some stats classes, perhaps getting a minor in it.

As for other disciplines in academia, I'm not sure - maybe less-mathematically inclined biologists are more inclined to hire statisticians to do their analyses (or maybe they just all have statistics software like SPS to do it for them without hiring a statistician).

I don't know what the situation with research in industry might be.

Of course, you'll want to more thoroughly look into this, as this is anecdotal evidence I'm basing my conclusions on, but I don't expect them to be too wrong on average.

quanto said:
What sort of a blend would this be? Let's say I am interested in being part of a research in some physics discipline but not necessarily as a physicist but as a statistician/data analyst.

There are some areas of experimental physics which the people involves are basically statisticians and data analysts.

Like The guys/girls who compile, analyze etc the data from experiments on particle interaction, for example. And they pass this data on to the scientists to interpret and analyze it in their own terms. So on the same team but a different role. Is there really such a thing?

In astrophysics and particle physics no. The problem is that in order to come up with something meaningful, you have to understand the instrument and the underlying theory.

1. What is the significance of combining statistics and physics in a research career?

Combining statistics and physics allows for a more comprehensive and accurate analysis of data in the field of research. Statistics provides the tools for data collection, analysis, and interpretation, while physics offers a deeper understanding of the underlying mechanisms and laws governing the natural world.

2. What skills are necessary for pursuing a career in research that blends statistics and physics?

A strong foundation in mathematics, specifically in calculus and linear algebra, is crucial for a career in research blending statistics and physics. Additionally, proficiency in programming languages such as Python or R, and knowledge of statistical software packages like SPSS or SAS, are essential skills for data analysis.

3. What are some potential career paths for someone interested in a stats and physics blend in research?

Some potential career paths for individuals with a background in both statistics and physics include biostatistics, data science, financial modeling, and environmental research. These fields often require a combination of analytical and critical thinking skills, making a stats and physics blend a valuable asset.

4. How does a research career in this field contribute to advancements in science and technology?

A research career in the blend of statistics and physics is crucial for advancements in science and technology. By analyzing and interpreting data from experiments and observations, researchers can develop new theories and models that expand our understanding of the natural world. This knowledge can then be applied to various industries, including healthcare, energy, and technology.

5. What are some challenges faced by researchers in this field and how can they be overcome?

One of the main challenges faced by researchers in this field is the complexity of data and the need for advanced analytical techniques. This can be overcome by continuously updating skills and staying updated on the latest developments in statistical methods and technology. Collaboration with experts in related fields and effective communication can also help overcome challenges and drive progress in research.