Authority of internationally recognized states

• Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    States
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of legitimate authority and what it takes for a group of people to be recognized as having authority over others. The conversation also touches on the idea of granting authority in exchange for benefits and the importance of personal freedom and self-respect. The question of whether a recognized state is more legitimate than a group of individuals in the jungle is also raised.
Adam
Do you consider internationally recognised states as legitimate authority? If so, why? If not, why not?

Do you consider any other bunch of individuals legitimate authorities? If so, why? If not, why not?

What exactly does it take for some group of people to be recognised, by you, as having authority over you?

A recognised state usually has police, an army, and mountains of paperwork which you accept as part of your life. Why is such an organisation more legitimate than, for example, a bunch of guys running around in the jungles of Borneo with guns and a leader? Or is it? Is it merely that one has a larger rate of acceptance as authority?

Physics news on Phys.org
Adam said:
What exactly does it take for some group of people to be recognised, by you, as having authority over you?

Ill let some group have authority(over me) so long as they demonstrate, on-average, positive (and moral) agendas and actions that show their reasoning and logic lead to advancement in efficiency, productivity, well-being, and satisfaction.

bottom line the only authority you must obey is yourself. i know that's easier said then done. but,

if i belong to this forum, i grant them the authority to set the rules in exchange for the benefit of having the forum. if, at any time, i felt that i would be compromized, i would raise the issue in a calm, non-confrontational manner, and if i didn't like the result (compromize) i would leave the list. incidentally, i have done that at yahoo group when the list moderator would not accept ideas about freewill.

we also have the same with all areas of our lives, more or less. yes, we grant the police authority over us as a convience for social order. if, however, i found this moving toward a police state, i would have to take action. my sanity, self-respect, and freedom are more important than the order the the police state would provide.

whether in the wild jungles or city jungles, the same equation exists.

love&peace,
olde drunk

What is the definition of "authority" in the context of internationally recognized states?

The authority of a state refers to its ability to govern and make decisions that are recognized and accepted by other states in the international community. This can include having control over its territory, population, resources, and foreign relations.

How do states gain international recognition?

States can gain international recognition by meeting certain criteria, such as having a defined territory, a permanent population, a functioning government, and the ability to engage in relations with other states. Recognition can also come from other recognized states through diplomatic recognition.

Can a state lose its international recognition?

Yes, a state can lose its international recognition if it fails to meet the criteria for statehood or if its government is overthrown or collapses. In some cases, other states may also withdraw their recognition of a state if it engages in actions that are deemed illegitimate or against international norms.

What are the implications of not being recognized as a state?

Not being recognized as a state can limit a government's ability to engage in international relations and access resources, aid, and trade. It can also lead to a lack of legitimacy and autonomy, making it difficult to govern effectively.

Are there any exceptions to the general rules of state recognition?

There are some exceptions to the general rules of state recognition, such as de facto states that have control over a defined territory and population but lack recognition from other states. Additionally, some international organizations may grant membership to entities that do not meet all of the criteria for statehood.