Where can I learn spin connection?

In summary, the conversation is about someone wanting to learn about Carlo Rovelli's Quantum Gravity but facing difficulties with understanding the differential form of Einstein's equation and the concept of spin connection, which are not commonly found in textbooks such as Wald's. The other person suggests consulting Sean Carroll's GR notes for a nice treatment of the formalism, and mentions Nakahara's topology and geometry book for a more rigorous approach. They also recommend looking into supergravity notes, specifically Samtleben's "intro to SUGRA"-notes, for a good introduction to the subject. The conversation ends with a reminder to ask specific questions if needed.
knightq
I want to teach Carlo Rovelii's Quantum Gravity by myself, however I got stuck just at beginning , I have never seen the differential form of Einstein equation and the conception of spin connecttion in common textbook such as Wald's, where can I learn these things?Help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
The spin connection is treated in Wald. For a nice treatment of the vielbein and spin connection formalism, you could consult Sean Carroll's GR notes. For a more rigorous treatment you can take a look in Nakahara's topology and geometry book.

I'm really appreciated !

Also, a lot of supergravity notes give a nice treatment of the subject; for instance, Samtleben's "intro to SUGRA"-notes are really nice (and in my opinion the nicest first glance of SUGRA, if you're interested ;) ).

Good luck with it, and if you have specific questions, just put them here.

haushofer said:
Also, a lot of supergravity notes give a nice treatment of the subject; for instance, Samtleben's "intro to SUGRA"-notes are really nice (and in my opinion the nicest first glance of SUGRA, if you're interested ;) ).

Good luck with it, and if you have specific questions, just put them here.

Thanks a lot, i will~

1. What is a spin connection?

A spin connection is a mathematical concept used in the field of theoretical physics, specifically in the study of spinors. It is a type of connection that allows for the parallel transport of spinors, which are mathematical objects that describe the spin of particles.

2. Where can I find resources to learn about spin connection?

There are many resources available to learn about spin connection, including textbooks, online lectures, and research papers. Some recommended textbooks include "Spinors and Space-Time" by Roger Penrose and "Introduction to Spinors" by William A. Bardeen. Online lectures can be found on websites such as YouTube and Coursera, and research papers can be found on academic databases such as arXiv and JSTOR.

3. Do I need a strong background in math to understand spin connection?

Yes, a strong understanding of mathematics, specifically differential geometry and linear algebra, is necessary to fully comprehend spin connection. It is a complex concept that requires a solid foundation in these mathematical fields.

4. How is spin connection used in physics?

Spin connection is used in theoretical physics to study the behavior of spinors, which are important in describing the spin of particles. It is also used in the development of theories such as general relativity and quantum field theory.

5. Can I apply spin connection to any scientific field?

Spin connection is primarily used in theoretical physics, but it can also be applied to other fields such as mathematics and computer science. It has also been used in applications such as computer graphics and robotics. However, a strong understanding of spin connection and its mathematical foundations is necessary to apply it effectively.