Positive and Negative 5v from 2 AA Batteries

In summary, MisterX found a website that provides information on virtual grounds and how to use them for his project. He also found that a cmoy may be a good option for the dividing virtual ground.
robo171
I'm designing a portable device running off of 2 AA batteries that requires positive both positive and negative 5v power at the same time. What is the best/cheapest way to achieve this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
2AA batteries would only give you a nominal value of 3V in series. Otherwise it kinda depends on your application of the dual supply. The easiest and cheapest way would be to split a 10V source using voltage dividers. Create a ground at the midpoint and then the reference voltages would be +- 5V. Not super ideal obviously and prone to being unbalanced.

I'm working with audio, so balance is important. My best idea thus far has been to use 3 voltage regs: one to step up 3V to 5V, one to step up 5V to a slightly higher level, and one to invert the slightly higher voltage to -5V. Obviously that's not quite ideal either.

You could use one DC-DC voltage converter (regulator) for +5 V, and another one for -5 V (perhaps a http://www.exar.com/Common/Content/ProductDetails.aspx?ID=595" ). Or, you could use one 10 V output DC-DC converter and a virtual ground.

I found http://tangentsoft.net/elec/vgrounds.html" might not be a bad option if you use the 10 V converter option.

Last edited by a moderator:
MisterX: I found the page on virtual grounds very informative, especially for my project! Do you have a suggestion for a step-up that can convert 2-3V to 10V?

You could look on Digikey http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Cat=2556570".

Select all the input voltage ranges with minimum voltages of less than 2.3 V or so. I didn't see any with fixed 10 V output so you may want to look at the adjustable ones with 10 V in the range of output voltages.

You may want to select "Through Hole" under "Mounting Type".

By reading the datasheets you can understand how to use the ICs and what other components you may need to have. There may also may be information on efficiency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tangent's site is great especially if you are working with audio. I actually had a cmoy in mind when I was talking about a resisitive dividing virtual ground.

Thank you very much, MisterX. As I dig deeper into Tangentsoft, I keep finding valuable insight for my project. Great find!

1. What is the purpose of using 2 AA batteries for positive and negative 5v?

The purpose of using 2 AA batteries for positive and negative 5v is to provide a stable and reliable source of power for electronic devices or circuits that require a specific voltage level. AA batteries are commonly used because they are easily accessible and have a long lifespan.

2. How is positive and negative 5v achieved from 2 AA batteries?

Positive and negative 5v is achieved from 2 AA batteries by connecting them in series. This means that the positive end of one battery is connected to the negative end of the other battery, creating a continuous flow of electricity. The voltage of each battery is added together, resulting in a total voltage of 5v.

3. Can positive and negative 5v be achieved from other types of batteries?

Yes, positive and negative 5v can be achieved from other types of batteries as long as they are connected in series. However, it is important to make sure that the total voltage of the batteries does not exceed 5v to avoid damaging the electronic device or circuit.

4. What are the limitations of using 2 AA batteries for positive and negative 5v?

The limitations of using 2 AA batteries for positive and negative 5v depend on the specific device or circuit being powered. Some devices may require more voltage than 5v, while others may not function properly with this voltage. Additionally, the lifespan of the batteries may affect the stability of the 5v output over time.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using 2 AA batteries for positive and negative 5v?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to consider when using 2 AA batteries for positive and negative 5v. It is important to make sure the batteries are properly connected in series and that the correct polarity is maintained. It is also important to not exceed the maximum voltage of 5v and to use caution when handling batteries to avoid electric shock.