Find the Largest Cube Volume on n x n Paper

In summary, the conversation discusses the most efficient way to draw a net for a cube on a piece of paper measuring n by n in order to achieve the largest possible volume. The most obvious solution is to draw the net along the diagonal, but there are other ways that may be more efficient. It is noted that the concept of a "net" was not introduced until later in the speaker's life, and there are other potential maximum side lengths to consider. Martin Gardner has also discussed this problem in one of his books.
recon
If I were to draw a complete, continuous net of a cube on a piece of paper measuring n by n, how can I proceed so that the resulting cube has the largest possible volume achievable from that paper size?

I know that the most obvious solution (at least to me) is to draw the net along a diagonal of the square piece of paper (meaning that some lines forming the net will be parallel to the diagonal, and others perpendicular). However, I've been in the world long enough to know that common sense does not usually dictate the right answer.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If I calculated correctly, drawing the net along the diagonal will give squares with length:

[tex]\left(\frac{\sqrt 2}{4+\sqrt 3}\right) n \approx 0.247 n[/tex]

which means you're better off taking the net horizontally or vertically, since then the length will be n/4=0.25n.

Are you stuck with that particular net? There are other ways to build a cube from a flat piece of paper that might be more efficient. One way lays the squares out as mroe of a 'z' than a 't'.

P.S. I am an old, old man - in my thirtes at least. When I was young, there was no such thing as a 'net'. I was helping edit an elementary schoolbook last year, and the editor and I both came upon this word we had never encountered before. How it's in elementary schools? When did it get introduced?

Galileo said:
If I calculated correctly, drawing the net along the diagonal will give squares with length:

[tex]\left(\frac{\sqrt 2}{4+\sqrt 3}\right) n \approx 0.247 n[/tex]

which means you're better off taking the net horizontally or vertically, since then the length will be n/4=0.25n.

If you don't need the net to be continuous, the maximum side length is going to be
[tex]\frac{n}{\sqrt{6}} \approx .4 n[/tex]
It's possible to get a side length of
[tex]\frac{n}{2\sqrt{2}} \approx .35n[/tex]
if the net forms an 'X' diagonally across the square piece of paper, but it involves splitting one of the faces into four pieces. That's likely to be optimal, but I don't have a proof handy. Martin Gardner discusses this problem in one of his books.

What is "Find the Largest Cube Volume on n x n Paper"?

"Find the Largest Cube Volume on n x n Paper" is a mathematical problem that challenges individuals to determine the maximum volume of a cube that can be created using a single sheet of paper with dimensions n x n, where n represents any positive integer.

What makes this problem challenging?

This problem is challenging because it requires individuals to think creatively and use their mathematical skills to find the optimal solution. It also involves understanding the relationship between the dimensions of a cube and its volume.

What is the solution to this problem?

The solution to this problem depends on the value of n. For smaller values of n, the largest cube volume can be found by simply folding the paper in a particular way. However, as n increases, more complex folding techniques may be required to find the largest possible cube volume.

Can this problem be solved using a formula?

Yes, there is a formula that can be used to determine the largest cube volume on n x n paper. However, the formula may differ depending on the value of n. It is also important to note that the formula may not be necessary for finding the solution to this problem, as creative thinking and experimentation may also lead to the optimal solution.

What are the real-world applications of this problem?

While this problem may seem like a purely mathematical exercise, it has real-world applications in fields such as packaging and architecture. Understanding the relationship between dimensions and volume can help in designing more efficient and space-saving structures and packages.