Building Mouse Trap Cars for Physics Exams: Tips and Hints

In summary, the best way to make a mouse trap car using only the mouse trap as a source of energy is to use a cardboard trough with a mouse wheel in the center, connected to axles and rubber wheels. The mouse should face the front of the car, and its running will rotate the mouse wheel and drive the car forward. However, if you want to store the mouse's energy, a more complex contraption with a spring will be necessary to prevent the mouse from getting sick.
Tabe
Does anyone have any tips on how to make/build a mouse trap car, with the mouse trap being the only source of energy? I have an idea of what it should look like, and how it should work, but I'm really not sure. Is there any helpful hints that I might need while building my project for my physics exam?

Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest way would be to use the mouse cage itself as a pair of wheels...but I don't think this is the conventional design, nor will it be very comfortable for the mouse, having to deal with irregularities of the road directly. :biggrin:

Where's the difficulty. Just use a little cardboard trough, with a mousewheel in the center connected on either side to axles that are in turn connected to rubber wheels (that you can purchase in an R/C hobbyist shop). The axle is supported using a low friction support of some sort. The mouse faces the forward direction of the "car" (lets say that lies to the left of our view), and its running causes a counterclockwise rotation of the mousewheel that then rotates the wheels counterclockwise, driving the car forward.

So it's simple, you don't even need a system of gears to change the directions of rotation. However, if you wanted to store the mouse's energy, you'd need a more complicated contraption with a spring that gets wound up with the forward motion of the mouse, and then releases its energy when it stops. You'd have to find a way to disengage the mouse wheel before energy release happens, otherwise you'll get a car full of mouse puke. :rofl:

1. How do I make a mouse trap car for a physics exam?

To make a mouse trap car for a physics exam, you will need a mousetrap, four wheels, an axle, and a sturdy base. Attach the wheels to the axle and the axle to the base. Then, attach the mousetrap to the base in a way that allows it to be triggered by the wheels. You can also add a string or rubber band to increase the distance the car travels.

2. What materials are best for building a mouse trap car?

The best materials for building a mouse trap car are lightweight and sturdy. Some common options include balsa wood, cardboard, and plastic. It is important to choose materials that are easy to work with and won't add too much weight to the car.

3. How do I calculate the distance my mouse trap car will travel?

To calculate the distance your mouse trap car will travel, you will need to consider the force of the mousetrap, the weight of the car, and the friction of the wheels. You can use equations such as F=ma and Ff=μN to calculate these values and then use them to determine the distance your car will travel.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when building a mouse trap car?

Some common mistakes to avoid when building a mouse trap car include using materials that are too heavy, not considering the friction of the wheels, and not properly attaching the mousetrap to the base. It is also important to test your car before the exam to make sure it works as intended.

5. How can I improve my mouse trap car for maximum performance?

To improve your mouse trap car for maximum performance, you can try different materials for the base and wheels, add aerodynamic features, and adjust the placement of the mousetrap. You can also experiment with different amounts of tension on the mousetrap and different types of strings or rubber bands to see which results in the greatest distance traveled.