Determining std dev with errors in measurements

• Thread starter karna87
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to incorporate errors when computing the mean and standard deviation of a sample with measurements "V" and errors "E". The suggestion is to use the formula for standard deviation, taking into account the sum of squared deviations from the mean divided by the number of samples minus one. The conversation also suggests using the concept of a horizontal bar to represent the data and using the center of gravity to calculate the mean and another calculation to calculate the standard deviation.
karna87
I have the following sample of measurements "V" and each has error "E" incorporated in the measurement. If I want to take mean of the sample how should I proceed. I figure that I can compute "sigma" by taking square root of the (sum of square of deviations from the mean divided by the number of sample-1). but that sigma will not incorporate the "E" errors inherent in the "V"

V E

6 1
5 0.2
4 3
6 2

I can compute mean and stddev suing Matlab, but how do I incorporate "E" in the computation.

thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:
Assuming your error is uniformly distributed, if not adjust accordingly.
Suppose you have a horizontal bar one unit high and
centered at 6 and 1 unit wide
centered at 5 and 0.2 unit wide
centered at 4 and 3 unit wide
centered at 6 and 2 unit wide.
Does that correctly represent your data? Or do they need to be other than one unit high?
Can you perhaps think "center of gravity" to then calculate your mean?
Can you perhaps think of another calculation to then calculate your standard deviation?

thanks for your help !

What is the purpose of determining standard deviation with errors in measurements?

Determining standard deviation with errors in measurements helps to quantify the variability and precision of a set of data. It provides a measure of how spread out the data points are, taking into account any errors or uncertainties in the measurements.

How is standard deviation calculated when there are errors in measurements?

When there are errors in measurements, standard deviation is calculated using the error propagation formula. This formula takes into account the individual measurement errors and their effects on the overall standard deviation.

What is the difference between standard deviation and standard error?

Standard deviation and standard error are both measures of variability, but they have different interpretations. Standard deviation measures the spread of data points from the mean, while standard error measures the precision of the mean. In other words, standard error tells us how accurate the mean is as an estimate of the true value.

How does the sample size affect the standard deviation with errors in measurements?

The sample size can affect the standard deviation with errors in measurements in two ways. First, a larger sample size generally results in a more accurate estimate of the true standard deviation. Second, a larger sample size can also reduce the effect of measurement errors on the standard deviation, resulting in a smaller standard deviation value.

Can standard deviation with errors in measurements be negative?

No, standard deviation with errors in measurements cannot be negative. Standard deviation is a measure of variability and by definition, cannot be negative. If a calculation results in a negative standard deviation, it is likely due to an error in the data or calculation process.