Uni course- Biophysical Chemistry, or Physical chemistry

In summary, the person is considering changing their program to Biotechnology/biochem and is unsure about whether to take Biophysical chemistry or physical chemistry due to struggling with physics. They are looking for a program with less math and ask if biophysicalchem has less math than physical. Another person mentions that physical chemistry requires calculus, linear algebra, and ODEs, while biophysical chemistry is a senior level elective with more math. They also express concern about the anti-quantitative approach in biochemistry.
Nellen2222
Uh, my program is Biotechnology/biochem (might change it). I can take a "Biophysical chemistry"or a "physical chemistry" mind you, I am strugging to even pas year one physics i hate it and it sucks. So I really want something with not as much math. Does anyone know if biophysicalchem has less math than physical? or just as much.

Thanks for the inputs!

Physics news on Phys.org
physical chemistry doesn't have too much math, you just need to be skilled with calculus 1-3, linear algebra and ODEs.

biophysical, I don't know about. At my school it was a senior level elective about biochemical thermodynamics and transport phenomena. Very interesting stuff but pretty math intensive; you had to take it after taking physical chemistry.

I believe though that the current attitude of biochemistry, that is, the anti-quantitative, not just non-quantitative but anti-quantitative, children's level picture-book approach to the field, does no favors for either the researchers in it, nor the students, when they get onto the job market.

1. What is Biophysical Chemistry?

Biophysical chemistry is a scientific field that combines principles and techniques from both biology and physics to study biological systems at a molecular level. It focuses on understanding the physical and chemical properties of biological molecules and how they interact with each other and their environment.

2. What is the difference between Biophysical Chemistry and Physical Chemistry?

While both Biophysical Chemistry and Physical Chemistry involve the study of the physical properties of matter, Biophysical Chemistry specifically focuses on biological systems and their interactions, while Physical Chemistry encompasses a broader range of topics such as thermodynamics, kinetics, and quantum mechanics.

3. What are some applications of Biophysical Chemistry?

Biophysical Chemistry has many applications in various fields such as drug discovery, bioengineering, and understanding biological processes at a molecular level. It is also used in research to develop new technologies and techniques for studying biological systems.

4. What skills are needed to succeed in a Uni course in Biophysical Chemistry?

To succeed in a Uni course in Biophysical Chemistry, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and laboratory skills are crucial in this field.

5. What career opportunities are available for someone with a degree in Biophysical Chemistry?

A degree in Biophysical Chemistry can lead to various career opportunities in industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and research. Graduates can also pursue further education in fields such as medicine, bioinformatics, or material science.