Complex Analysis - Cauchy Integral? Which technique do I use?

In summary, the conversation is about two integrals: 1. Homework statement: ∫ (x^(p-1))/(1+x) dx and 2. ∫ (ln(x)dx)/((x^2+1)^2). The conversation includes a clarification on how to properly write the integrals in LaTeX, as well as a discussion on how to approach solving them using complex analysis techniques. The individual is seeking guidance and resources to understand the technique better.
r19ecua

Homework Statement

[tex]\int_0^\infty\frac{x^{p-1}}{1+ x}dx[/tex]
** I could not get p-1 to show as the exponent; the problem is x raised to the power of
p-1.

[tex]\int_0^\infty\frac{ln(x) dx}{(x^2+1)^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

There is no attempt, but I would like to make one! I'm asking for guidance. I've been given these integrals from my engineering professor and was told to solve them over the winter break. That by researching these integrals, I can begin to prepare myself for complex analysis next semester. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to approach them. What complex analysis technique is used to solve these? I'd really like to read up on it as well as everything I need to know to understand the technique.. Thanks !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
r19ecua said:

Homework Statement

∫ [itex]\frac{x^(p-1)}{1+ x}[/itex] dx
Put the p-1 (or anything you want kept together) in { }, not ( ). Also, it is better to put an entire formula in Latex, not just part. The Latex for the integral sign is "\int_0^\infty".

\int_0^\infty\frac{x^{p-1}}{1+ x} dx gives
[tex]\int_0^\infty\frac{x^{p-1}}{1+ x} dx[/tex]

** I could not get p-1 to show as the exponent; the problem is x raised to the power of p-1.
Assuming that [itex]p\ge 1[/itex], that has a pole only at x=-1. One way to do this is to write it as part of contour integral, with the complex z in place of x, going along the upper quarter-circle [itex]|z|= \epsilon[/itex] from [itex]\epsilon i[/itex] to [itex]\epsilon[/itex], 0), the real axis from [itex]\epsilon[/itex] to R, the quarter circle of |z|= R, from R to Ri, then the imaginary axis from Ri to [itex]\epsilon i[/itex]. End by taking the limits as R goes to infinity and [itex]\epsilon[/itex] goes to 0.

∫[itex]\frac{ln(x) dx}{(x^2+1)^2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

There is no attempt, but I would like to make one! I'm asking for guidance. I've been given these integrals from my engineering professor and was told to solve them over the winter break. That by researching these integrals, I can begin to prepare myself for complex analysis next semester. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to approach them. What complex analysis technique is used to solve these? I'd really like to read up on it as well as everything I need to know to understand the technique.. Thanks !

1. What is the Cauchy Integral in complex analysis?

The Cauchy Integral is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that allows us to calculate the value of a complex function at any point inside a closed contour, given the values of the function on the contour itself.

2. How do I know when to use the Cauchy Integral in my calculations?

The Cauchy Integral is used when we need to evaluate the value of a complex function at a point inside a closed contour. It is especially useful when the function is holomorphic (analytic) inside the contour, as it allows us to extend the value of the function to points outside the contour.

3. What are the main techniques used in the Cauchy Integral?

There are two main techniques used in the Cauchy Integral: the Cauchy-Goursat theorem and the Cauchy integral formula. The Cauchy-Goursat theorem states that the value of a holomorphic function inside a closed contour is equal to the sum of its values on the contour. The Cauchy integral formula allows us to calculate the value of a function at a point inside the contour using the values of the function and its derivatives on the contour.

4. How does the Cauchy Integral relate to other theorems in complex analysis?

The Cauchy Integral is closely related to other important theorems in complex analysis, such as the Cauchy-Riemann equations and the Cauchy integral theorem. The Cauchy-Riemann equations are used to determine whether a function is holomorphic, while the Cauchy integral theorem generalizes the Cauchy-Goursat theorem to non-simply connected domains.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Cauchy Integral?

Yes, the Cauchy Integral has many practical applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. For example, it is used in the study of fluid mechanics to calculate the velocity of a fluid at any point, given the velocity on a closed contour. It is also used in the study of electrostatics to calculate the electric potential at any point, given the potential on a closed contour.