Thermal intake of melting ice as compared to thermal capacity of earth

In summary: Climate change discussions are not allowed on this site. If it is a climate change discussion, then the moderator has removed one of the heads of the beast.
Willber Force
Though this topic mentions climate change, I don't think it really is about it that, strongly anyway. I've just joined and noticed a ban on climate change discussions before posing this one, I don't think this is one, but if it is, I suppose the beast must have one of it's many heads chopped off. I'm just dumbfounded that it had to come to that, if anything, that's what I've got from this.

Back a few years ago there was a question climate change people were asking, which was, why there was more cooling than expected? One thing that came to mind right away was how melting water took in more heat than just its thermal capacity (I think I'm saying that right) and if it was capable of accounting for it and how strongly if any.

I don't know if anyone here is capable of easily answering that question, I do better with mechanical and electrical systems. I've made various starts into doing a back of the envelope calculation which I though would be as easy as thermal capacity of atmosphere, plus top meter of earth, plus oceans compared to amount of heat absorbed by the volume of ice that melted and degraded. But I couldn't make it to a start of an answer. I would think people involved in this would have those kinds of numbers around, but I didn't have any luck finding them on any of the occasions I've tried.

Anyway, it's getting late. Sorry if this is a stupid question, just something I've been wondering about for far too long.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org

Hi there, welcome to the forum! I understand your confusion about the ban on climate change discussions, but it's important to remember that these rules are in place to keep the forum focused on its intended topic. However, I think your question is related enough to climate change to warrant a response.

The issue of cooling versus warming in relation to melting ice is a complex one, and there are many factors at play. While it's true that melting ice does absorb more heat than its thermal capacity, this is just one piece of the puzzle. Other factors such as ocean currents, atmospheric circulation, and solar radiation also play a role in determining the overall temperature trends.

As for your question about the numbers, it's not a stupid question at all! However, it's not a simple calculation and would require a lot of data and analysis. I suggest looking into peer-reviewed scientific studies on the topic, as they would have the most accurate and up-to-date information.

I hope this helps to answer your question. Keep asking questions and seeking answers, that's what forums like this are for!

1. How does the thermal intake of melting ice affect the Earth's temperature?

The thermal intake of melting ice can contribute to a rise in the Earth's temperature. When ice melts, it absorbs heat from the environment and this can lead to an increase in the overall temperature of the Earth.

2. Is the thermal intake of melting ice a significant factor in global warming?

Yes, the thermal intake of melting ice is considered to be a significant factor in global warming. As more ice melts, it releases more heat into the environment, contributing to the overall warming of the Earth.

3. How does the thermal capacity of the Earth play a role in the melting of ice?

The thermal capacity of the Earth, or its ability to store heat, can affect the melting of ice. As the Earth's temperature increases, it can lead to a decrease in the amount of ice on the planet, as the heat absorbed by the Earth is transferred to the ice, causing it to melt.

4. Can the thermal intake of melting ice impact sea levels?

Yes, the thermal intake of melting ice can contribute to a rise in sea levels. As ice melts, it adds more water to the Earth's oceans, causing them to rise. This can have consequences for coastal communities and ecosystems.

5. Is it possible to reduce the thermal intake of melting ice?

Yes, it is possible to reduce the thermal intake of melting ice by reducing the factors that contribute to global warming, such as carbon emissions. By decreasing the Earth's overall temperature, less ice will melt, leading to a lower thermal intake and potentially slowing down the effects of climate change.