Ordinary Differential Equation - Comparing 2 Solutions

In summary: The reason why this is equivalent is because the integral is just a sum of areas under a curve. When you change the limits of integration, you are just changing the order in which you add up the areas. Hope this helps!In summary, the conversation discusses different attempts at solving an equation using integration, with one resulting in the correct solution and the other causing confusion. The mistake in the incorrect attempt is identified as a sign swap caused by a substitution. The correct solution involves swapping the limits of integration and making a substitution.
AntSC

Homework Statement

[tex]{g}'\left ( s \right )+\mu g\left ( s \right )={f}'\left ( -s \right )+\mu f\left ( -s \right )[/tex]
Integrate up to get
[tex]g\left ( s \right )=-f\left ( -s \right )+2\mu e^{-\mu s}\int_{-s}^{\infty }e^{-\mu {s}'}f\left ( {s}' \right )d{s}'[/tex]

Homework Equations

As above

The Attempt at a Solution

I've seen a few attempts at this, one that arrives at the correct solution, which is the method i used and had no trouble with. However, another attempt I've seen, which doesn't yield the correct solution is causing me much headache as i can't work out where it's going wrong. Some pointing out here would be really helpful. Thanks

Using the following integrating factor on the equation above
[tex]e^{\int \mu ds}=e^{\mu s}[/tex]
[tex]e^{\mu s}{g}'\left ( s \right )+e^{\mu s}\mu g\left ( s \right )=e^{\mu s}\left [ {f}'\left ( -s \right )+\mu f\left ( -s \right ) \right ][/tex]
At this point i wrote
[tex]\frac{d}{ds}\left [ e^{\mu s}g\left ( s \right ) \right ]=e^{\mu s}\left [ {f}'\left ( -s \right )+\mu f\left ( -s \right ) \right ][/tex]
[tex]\left. e^{\mu {s}'}g\left ( {s}' \right ) \right|_{-\infty }^{s}=\int_{-\infty }^{s}e^{\mu {s}'}\left [ {f}'\left ( {-s}' \right )+\mu f\left ( {-s}' \right ) \right ]d{s}'[/tex]
Then to skip a few steps i did by parts integration to get the following (can include missing steps if needed)
[tex]e^{\mu s}g\left ( s \right )=-e^{\mu s}f\left ( -s \right )+ 2\mu \int_{-\infty }^{s}f\left ( {-s}' \right )e^{\mu {s}'}d{s}'[/tex]
[tex]g\left ( s \right )=-f\left ( -s \right )+ 2\mu e^{-\mu s}\int_{-\infty }^{s}f\left ( {-s}' \right )e^{\mu {s}'}d{s}'[/tex]
Swapping limits and changing 's' for '-s' gives
[tex]g\left ( s \right )=-f\left ( -s \right )+ 2\mu e^{-\mu s}\int_{-s}^{\infty }f\left ( {s}' \right )e^{-\mu {s}'}d{s}'[/tex]
As required

The other route wrote took the following path
[tex]\frac{d}{ds}\left [ e^{\mu s}g\left ( s \right ) \right ]e^{-\mu s}=\frac{d}{ds}\left [ f\left ( -s \right )e^{-\mu s} \right ]e^{\mu s}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{ds}\left [ e^{\mu s}g\left ( s \right ) \right ]=-\frac{d}{ds}\left [ f\left ( -s \right )e^{-\mu s} \right ]e^{2\mu s}[/tex]
[tex]\left. e^{\mu {s}'}g\left ( {s}' \right ) \right|_{-\infty }^{s}=\int_{-\infty }^{s}-e^{2\mu {s}'}\frac{d}{ds}\left [ f\left ( {-s}' \right )e^{-\mu {s}'} \right ]d{s}'[/tex]
[tex]e^{\mu s}g\left ( s \right )=\left. -e^{2\mu {s}'}f\left ( {-s}' \right )e^{-\mu {s}'}\right|_{-\infty }^{s}+ \int_{-\infty }^{s}2\mu e^{2\mu s}f\left ( {-s}' \right )e^{-\mu {s}'}d{s}'[/tex]
[tex]e^{\mu s}g\left ( s \right )=-e^{\mu s}f\left ( -s \right )+ 2\mu e^{2\mu s}\int_{-\infty }^{s}f\left ( {-s}' \right )e^{-\mu {s}'}d{s}'[/tex]
[tex]g\left ( s \right )=-f\left ( -s \right )+ 2\mu e^{\mu s}\int_{-\infty }^{s}f\left ( {-s}' \right )e^{-\mu {s}'}d{s}'[/tex]
Swapping limits and changing 's' for '-s' gives
[tex]g\left ( s \right )=-f\left ( -s \right )+ 2\mu e^{\mu s}\int_{-s}^{\infty }f\left ( {s}' \right )e^{\mu {s}'}d{s}'[/tex]
This is giving a sign swap in the final solutioin that is having my head spin. Can't see the route of this. Can anyone spot the mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Swapping [itex]\int_{-s}^\infty ds'[/itex] for [itex]\int_{-\infty}^s ds'[/itex] is equivalent to making the substitution [itex]u= -s'[/itex]. Then [itex]du= -ds'[/itex]. When [itex]s'= -\infty[/itex], [itex]u= \infty[/itex] and when [itex]s'= s[/itex], [itex]u= -s[/itex].

So [tex]\int_{-s}^\infty f(-s')e^{-\mu s'}ds'= \int_u^{-\infty}f(u)e^{\mu u}(-du)= \int_{-\infty}^u f(u)e^{\mu u}du[/tex]

1. What is an ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

An ordinary differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model many physical, biological, and social phenomena.

2. How do you compare two solutions to an ODE?

To compare two solutions to an ODE, you can plot them on the same graph and see if they overlap or diverge. You can also calculate the difference between the solutions at different points and analyze their behavior.

3. What does it mean if two solutions to an ODE are identical?

If two solutions to an ODE are identical, it means that they represent the same function and satisfy the same initial conditions. This indicates that the ODE has a unique solution.

4. Can two different ODEs have the same solutions?

Yes, it is possible for two different ODEs to have the same solutions. This is because different ODEs can have similar mathematical structures and relationships between variables, leading to similar solutions.

5. How can you use the comparison of two solutions to an ODE to improve your understanding of the ODE?

Comparing two solutions to an ODE can help you understand the behavior of the ODE and the impact of different initial conditions. It can also help you identify patterns and relationships between variables that can be used to solve more complex ODEs in the future.